Archive

Topic: CQ100 Elmering proposal (13 replies)
#1     Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:55 pm
K4QKY
Murray, KY

Subject: CQ100 Elmering proposal

Like most hams in a fast growing crowd of users, I too enjoy CQ100! Hams with physical restrictions are especially appreciative of your software.

However, restricting usage to just licensed hams may not fully exploit its overall potential. Please visit http://www.k4qky.com/hamradio/cq100.htm which details my proposal to allow restricted access to prospective hams for the purpose of growing our hobby.

What are your thoughts?

Don

K4QKY[url][/url]
#2     Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:20 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Don. This is a very interesting idea.

Some governments UK, Australia and soon Canada have a similar idea with their foundation class licenses. These licenses are designed to attract new blood especially youngsters into the hobby. QsoNet gives these youngsters full privileges so they can learn proper procedures on HF bands while experiencing the fun of the hobby.

Someone suggested I come up with a special Boy Scout transceiver that will be a special band that is CW only.
#3     Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:34 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Greetings,

Your heart is in the right place Don but I feel that this idea would be a bit harmful to the concept of a Ham Radio related chat program. I would think that many of us like the idea of a "safe" place for licensed hams to meet and chat and experiment with other digital mode possibilities. Maybe a separate segment would be a comprimise but I would leave the licensed requirement as is. There is aready a code practice channel, and they are able to listen in anywhere they wish to. I understand this is not a legal issue, but as I understand it, we are treating this program under the guidelines of real ham radio operation. I'd rather "dangle the carrot" in hopes it would promote ham radio with the same rules as "real" radio. That's the challenge of Ham Radio and I feel it should remain in this spirit for CQ100.

Steve - W0SDG
#4     Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:57 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

Don,

Having just visited the QRZ.com forum (phew :shock: ) I don't want to join the ranks of grumpy old men who won't speak to an amateur who hasn't had a licence for xx years/can't rx morse at xx wpm etc - however, restriction of QsoNet to licenced amateurs is a sensible idea I think. Although it is is very difficult to gain credibility in the eyes of a EchoLink/QsoNet hater, use by licenced amateurs only should hopefully result in the excellent discipline and good operating practices seen so far on QsoNet.

As I mentioned in a separate thread, I can see great potential for a peer to peer network version of the CQ100 for use in training by clubs without the "operators" being able to get out onto the net proper.

However, what you might like to consider if it was technically possible, is to have a QsoNet "foundation band" for use by non-licenced amateurs. They would only have access to this band, but licenced amateurs could use it too so you would get the interaction and hopefully foster "good practice".

Gary
#5     Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: RE: Non-Licensed Usage

One of the best aspects of this progam is that it is limited to licensed hams. Even though it is NOT ham radio, it serves a good valued purpose for those of us that are incapable of using RF equipment or just want a reliable, interference free method of talking to other hams.

I have since given some earnest thought to the suggestion that CQ100 be used as a tool to elmer new hams. I don't think that bringing perspective hams into this particular fold will enhance their willingness to seek a license. It is too easy! You don't need to learn anything about radio to use it. I doubt they would learn much other than how to adjust their windows mixer. Non-hams would enter a world filled with strange terminology and interests.

I would have to vote no on this one. Let's keep this program for the exclusive use of licensed ham radio operators. We can always bring a perspective ham into the 'shack' (where the computer is) and let them listen or even use CQ100. If you happen to have RF gear, that would be a good time to show them that too :-)

#6     Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:36 pm
VY1GP
Whitehorse, Yukon

Subject: CQ100 Elmering

I think CQ100 would be an ideal service to attract new hams to amateur radio. Perhaps a receive only "radio" could be developed for this purpose as an interim step.

This would enable a person without a licence to listen to real hams without immediately having to invest in a receiver and antenna system. If they then decided to write their exam, they could start off without a major expense. I have looked at several VOIP radio services -- CQ100 seems most like the real thing.

I have not been licenced that long, and even with real equipment and antenna's I have been only had limited contacts from my location in northern Canada. There has been poor propagation and lots of QRM from my city lot.

Thanks to Doug VE3EFC for developing CQ100

VY1GP - George
#7     Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:24 am
KC6UVA
West Monroe LA USA

Subject: Good suggestion, VY1GP

I think VY1GP may have a possible good compromise for what we're discussing. A Rcv-Only radio version would definitely be the best of both worlds. It would be the same as a shortwave receiver that anyone could pickup at their local electronics store - and MANY HAMS have resulted from that kind of exposure. It would allow for that "testing of the water" for a prospective radio operator while, at the same time, not interferring with CQ100 communications.
#8     Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:22 pm
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject: Identification and Peer Awareness

One of the most effective features of the CQ100 is the immediate identification of the user. It does not matter whether a station is going to work phone or cw, as soon as he keys the tranceiver, his callsign is visible to one and all. This has to be considered a restraint on abnormal behavior. No one wants to get on and yell obscenities when they know they will be immediately identified by their callsign. It is a restraining feature of the program. If non-hams are able to get on and use nick-names or chat room handles, they are no longer inhibited in their actions. They would be anonymous. I believe only hams should have transmit capabilities on Qsonet. I would however have no objections to allowing non-hams to "subscribe" to Qsonet but have no transmit capability. :roll:

Clay, W1PI
Former USAF "Ditty Bop"
#9     Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:54 pm
KJ5JA
Margate Florida

Subject: My thoughts...

I have some thoughts on this topic.

I was wondering if it would be possible to develop a similar program for unlicensed use, like CB. My mom's boyfriend is in a wheelchair, and would love to have something like this because it would expand his world, allowing him to reach out to others. He has mentioned hooking up a CB rig at the house several times. I think if there was a non-licensed version that was similar but separate, it could find a very useful niche.

Kenny
KE4NNY
#10     Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:21 am
KC7GHT
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Subject: Licensed Hams ONLY on CQ100

Please continue to allow licensed Hams ONLY on CQ100. I have the ability to link CQ100 into my repeater system and thus desire only licensed Hams to be able to access CQ100.

If non licensed individuals want to talk, they can use CQPhone, or Skype, etc.

Joe
KC7GHT

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.