Archive

Topic: typed character messages to other station (4 replies)
#1     Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:20 am
N9VV
Naperville, IL USA

Subject: typed character messages to other station

in Skype and Teamspeak there is a way to send a message by typing a note to the receiving user while a QSO is in progress. Those private (or public) notes are VERY useful (and entertaining). Sending IM notes would be great.
#2     Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:32 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I made a program CQPhone that has lots of these features. It would be easy to make QsoNet into an instant messenger.

But QsoNet is NOT meant to be an instant messenger service. There are plenty of these services. They work well and they are free.

QsoNet is unique in that it is designed to be a realistic amateur radio transceiver. IM and logging programs can be run along-side of the QsoNet transceiver by those who desire these functions.

#3     Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:19 pm
VE3MOX
Sault Ste Marie Ont.Can

Subject: text messages

Right on Doug .no need to add text messages send an email.If they keep adding it will lose the main idea you had vertual amatuer.Please keep it in the major amateur field and stop all these add ons for me .There is no place on amateur radio you can type and talk .If you want to type and talk stay on echolink.Great Job Doug
#4     Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:05 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Doug,

I think you are right on track with your idea to keep this as realistic as possible "as if" we are operating an HF rig. You certainly don't need to emulate all the features of the other chat software programs out there. However, there are modes that may fit into your plan that might satisfy some. SSTV, RTTY or PSK, and other digital modes that fit into the HF plan. I like the CW portion you have already implemented. Bottom line, I like this program and concept. It will never replace my love for real HF, etc., but it is nice to be able to chat with fellow hams worlwide and just talk, as hams do, under the protection of Licensed amateurs. I am sure you have a good things in store for us as time goes on. Thanks for a unique concept and keep up the good work.

Steve - W0SDG
#5     Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:18 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
I made a program CQPhone that has lots of these features. It would be easy to make QsoNet into an instant messenger.

But QsoNet is NOT meant to be an instant messenger service. There are plenty of these services. They work well and they are free.

QsoNet is unique in that it is designed to be a realistic amateur radio transceiver. IM and logging programs can be run along-side of the QsoNet transceiver by those who desire these functions.

Doug,

Totally agree with your sentiments. The CQ100 software is "lean and mean" and it does what it's supposed to. I don't think that you need to overcomplicate it. I'd go along with minor tweeks like minimise or a smaller display that takes up less of the screen, but stick with the KISS principle :D

Great program, keep up the good work - you will get my 32 USD at the end of the trial period.

Gary

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.