Archive

Topic: On screen CW decoder (15 replies)
#1     Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:16 am
N9VV
Naperville, IL USA

Subject: On screen CW decoder

how about an On Screen decoder for received CW?
and include an indication of the speed of the transmitting station
#2     Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:43 am
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

This can be done very simply. Use MixW in conjunction with CQ100. Works very well and you have all the modes available including PSK31 and CW send and de-code. It is an excellent match.

de W0NBP

Bill
#3     Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:00 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

With all the available software out there to do read and send cw, I am wondering if there is a need for Doug to address this in his software. I again involk my idea that CQ100 is designed to operate as though we went out to our local candy stores and picked up a new rig. Everyone can please their own ideas with the available software programs already designed to do what most people want. We already have the tools and the CQ100 rig is just one of them.. Keep the rig operating efficiently and we can do whatever Ham Radio provides us the opertunity to do.

Steve - W0SDG
#4     Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:05 am
AD5C
Citrus Springs, Florida

Subject:

We ham operators become computers geek's, why not anyone come with the idea to get together and learn real CW, I say if someone like to practice this mode, why not learn and be proud to do so?.
#5     Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:35 pm
G4KKI
Swinton

Subject: cw

yes i agree, cw is a dying artform! computers are great fun but you cannot beat a real cw qso, send with a straight key and received with ones own brain.
#6     Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:36 am
KC6UVA
West Monroe LA USA

Subject: I have to agree...

Although when I finally test for my Extra ticket I won't have to pass the ol' code test, I think that part of Amateur Radio is foundational. So, I personally intend to push myself to reach the 20 wpm. What that said... I believe the CQ100 project has already presented a compromise of sorts. What I mean is that when learning code everyone would agree that sending is not the problem - receiving is. CQ100 presents a platform that transmits "perfect" code thereby creating an optimum environment for translation by the receiving operator. I'm not going to say that there aren't areas for enhancing CQ100 (with it being a software program, the sky's the limit), however, my humble opinion is leave it 'as is' for now when discussing code.
#7     Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:21 am
VE3TMT
Kingston, Ontario

Subject: Re: CW QSO's

Cw is great when the operator knows how to send. I was listening to a guy on 40m yesterday who was mixing all the characters together. I don't know how the guy on the other end co uld tell what he was saying!

Max VE3TMT
#8     Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:27 pm
KG4LMU
Flat rock,Michigan

Subject:

AD5C wrote:
We ham operators become computers geek's, why not anyone come with the idea to get together and learn real CW, I say if someone like to practice this mode, why not learn and be proud to do so?.

Actually I want to learn and having a decoder would be great and very helpful. I am trying to use the CWget with little results and more headache then anything. Being able to put the sound to a visual charracter is way easier to learn as it happens.
#9     Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:32 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

"Actually I want to learn and having a decoder would be great and very helpful. I am trying to use the CWget with little results and more headache then anything. Being able to put the sound to a visual charracter is way easier to learn as it happens."

Download Hamscope and use that for your CW decoding and typing if you so wish. Who's to say that learning code has to be done only by ear? Good for you to be interested and if this works for you, go for it...

Steve - W0SDG

P.S. I copy 30 -35 wpm in my head. I used a number of methods to get there and simply worked CW hard on the air for many years. My goal some day is 50 wpm. The only thing I need to do is practice and keep working at it. Good luck..
#10     Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:59 pm
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject:

W0SDG wrote:
"Actually I want to learn and having a decoder would be great and very helpful. I am trying to use the CWget with little results and more headache then anything. Being able to put the sound to a visual charracter is way easier to learn as it happens."

If you really want to learn code, stay away from the code readers. Even when you have a good one, they don't always copy the same letter you are hearing. Many may be behind a couple of characters. My advice would be to stay away from code readers until you can copy 15-20 wpm solid. From there up, go for it. Its fun to listen to high speed CW and watch it on a good code reader.

I've tried a couple of code readers and due to a glitch in my sound card, none of them have proven to be very effective for me. I've been a ham for 42 years and my maximum code speed is 30 wpm. Anything faster is too much like work, hi hi. Good luck and try to get it by ear first. You will really appreciate your accomplishment too.

When you are learning code and don't recognize a character, FORGET IT, and move on to the next character. If you don't, you are likely to miss the next 4-5 letters. As you get above 20 wpm you will begin to hear words instead of letters, especial words like "the, see, been, she, it, etc." If you are a good typist, open a Notepad form and locate it below your CQ100 and copy the code on your keyboard as if you were typing a letter. You will be surprised how fast you can copy.

Good Luck, Clay, W1PI

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.