Archive

Topic: SWL and QRM mode ;) (10 replies)
#1     Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm
YZ7REA
Novi Sad, JN95WF

Subject: SWL and QRM mode ;)

Have to suggestions:

1. Why not make a SWL mode for HAMs that do not renew or start their memebership or better yet for young kids (future HAMs) that have computers and would like to hear a real QSO. Just restrict TX and make PTT button non-functional for SWL ;)

2. The program is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I'm missing one thing here. QRM :D Could you make a QRM (toggle on/off) button that would initiate a random noise generator (different types and amplitudes of QRM noise)? This would truly turn this software into a Virtual Ionosfere ;)

Just my 2 cents :oops:

YZ7REA Vladimir
#2     Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:11 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject: Re: SWL and QRM mode ;)

YZ7REA wrote:
Have to suggestions:

1. Why not make a SWL mode for HAMs that do not renew or start their memebership or better yet for young kids (future HAMs) that have computers and would like to hear a real QSO. Just restrict TX and make PTT button non-functional for SWL ;)

2. The program is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I'm missing one thing here. QRM :D Could you make a QRM (toggle on/off) button that would initiate a random noise generator (different types and amplitudes of QRM noise)? This would truly turn this software into a Virtual Ionosfere ;)

Just my 2 cents :oops:

YZ7REA Vladimir

I think that a SWL version with no TX facility would be a worthwhile option. Almost all of us amateurs must have started down this route.

Not sure about the QRM option though.
#3     Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:42 am
YZ7REA
Novi Sad, JN95WF

Subject:

1. SWL (receive only) mode would really be a great feature to have IMHO.
In this cyber world, where almost every kid has a computer but don't
care much abt HAM stuff, having a program like this, with a feature like
this, would most definitely open up some doors for the HAM offspring.

2. Having noise-free QSO's is just swell, don't get me wrong. However, if
this software is to be a true Virtual Ionosphere, it should have this
option and allow operators to switch it ON/OFF at their convenience.
This would enable simulating real conditions for all those HAMs living in
antenna restricted areas, senior HAMs without antennae and gear, as
well as young HAMs training for their license.

My opinion is that being able to simulate the real Ionosphere, with all it's
conditions (QRM/QSB/QRN) and "charms" and having that at a touch of a
button, would certainly be a breakthrough in HAM radio communications!

Best regs from Serbia ;)
#4     Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:05 pm
WA0BBS
Apopka FL

Subject: I agree

I like both of these ideas for a SWL mode and QRM/QSB. How about an SSB "whine" too? (OK, now I'm pushing the enevelope). 73, Peter WAØBBS
#5     Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:35 am
DU1GM
Manila

Subject:

Hey, with all these extra buttons (QRM, QSB etc), why don't we have some unlicensed people come on and shout HALLOOOOOO ten four good buddy!!
Italians with power mics with echo, errrr, wait a minute, some people on this system already have those!!

Random "rig" failures could be built in, pay a "repair fee" and wait for one week to get your "rig" back.

How much radio realism do you want on voip for goodness sake???
Get on the real radio waves, now is the time for real amateur radio when the bands are poor and those who can make the effort will make the qso's.
You want QSB, there's lots there at the moment. Perhaps we should have a contest on one of the servers....now there's an idea!

CQ100 is NOT real radio, it's a chat show. It's fun and very useful for a lot of people who can't put up antennas. I'm sure they don't want QRM or QSB to spoil their fun.

George
DU1GM
#6     Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:05 am
WA0BBS
Apopka FL

Subject:

This was my point - we all know it's not "real" radio but for the ones of us that are unable to get on real radio at the moment like myself, why not let there be individual selectable OPTIONS to make it as real as possible - without detracting from the others who want clear phone-like QSO's?

Everyone has different views and for those that don't want these options - don't use them.

Peter WAØBBS
#7     Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:02 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

There is a good discussion of SWL mode here...
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=275

We thought of virtual propagation where certain continents would not be able to talk to other continents during certain daylight hours on certain bands. This idea is on hold for now.

We did embed the background static hiss into the program. We were not sure if people would like it, so we put the squelch button to make it optional.

I guess we could have a QRN generator built in with a ANL switch to make it optional. I think most people would leave the ANL switch on though.

It is a neat psychological question how far to go in making the simulation realistic. I guess the sky is the limit :)

73 Doug
#8     Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:10 pm
G4ILO
Cockermouth, UK

Subject:

You could have a power control that affected the TTL of the VOIP packets. Then you could make an extra few bucks selling amps... :)
#9     Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:30 pm
DU1GM
Manila

Subject:

I had the same thought Julian, basic subscription for a "QRP" station, pay a bit more for 400 virtual Watts, a little bit more for 1000 virtual Watts....

Make the "cheap" stations suffer more QSB/QRM etc!

Basic antenna would be a vertical or G5RV. pay a little bit more for a virtual tribander, lots more for a SteppIR!

Virtual EME anyone?

All this is tongue in cheek of course....

George
DU1GM
#10     Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:26 pm
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

>>virtual propagation<<

Lots of hams i spoke to , just find the possibility to chat worldwide without such restriction very good , not everyone here is retired and has time all day long , some still work like me with very few time to be on CQ100 . Virtual propagation would become a great restriction therefore .

Uli DG7LAE

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.