Archive

Topic: Calling Frequency (9 replies)
#1     Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:46 pm
W6KY
Escondido,CA USA

Subject: Calling Frequency

How about marking the 'Calling Frequencies' in a way that when people are having a QSO or TESTING, instead of the frequency readout showing 'Voice Band or CW Band' it flashes 'CALLING FREQ' in RED... This, hopefully, would remind users they are sitting on the Calling Freq having a QSO :shock: ... I have heard several sit on the Calling Freq and try to resolve audio problems or just have a QSO.... Thoughts?? 73, Art W6KY
#2     Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:15 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Art. I thought of this idea too. Where is says "Voice Band" it could say Calling Frequency, Digital Modes, RF Link Etc. These labels would have to be refreshable from the server so everyone did not need a new version when the label changes.

The calling frequency at 14.200 was a kind of informal suggestion during the first few weeks when the bands were mostly empty. It seems to have really caught on though. Do others thing there is a need for a calling frequency or will certain groups natural cluster to their own frequency ranges? Any comments?
#3     Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:19 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Calling Frequency

I agree that certain frequencies should be reserved for certain activities.
14.200 is a good choice for a voice calling frequency. It's easy to forget and I have been guilty by virtue of forgetting, so a distinctive marker on that frequency would be helpful.

New folks are often unaware that 14.200 is a calling frequency too.
As we discussed it would be nice to set aside a frequency for digital modes too. While not suggesting we get carried away with rules and organization, a little bit doesn't hurt.

Thanks
#4     Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:26 pm
W6KY
Escondido,CA USA

Subject:

I think calling frequencies are great ideas for all modes. Only takes up 1khz. A great place to meet new hams. A great place for Newbies to get their courage up to call or answer a CQ. Talked to a Newbie from Australia last night with a very restricted license. 5 Watts, 2 meters. This suddenly has him chomping at the bit to upgrade and get on RF HF because QSONET is so realistic.. I called CQ here on 14200, he answered, 4 hours later he was still on talking all over the world. He was monitoring 14200 and got his courage up to answer my CQ...... 73, Art W6KY 8)
#5     Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:43 pm
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject:

YES, this would be a great idea because too many stations have qsos on the 14.200 calling frequency and who knows, if we had calling frequencies on the other bands there might be more use of them as well ! Thi is a great idea !
#6     Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:39 am
ON5KN
MACON BELGIUM JO20CB

Subject: Calling Frequency and More

Indeed I believe there are good reasons to maintain a calling frequency as told in this board.
Even important would be the display of the usage of bandportion where you are tuned in,as coherent as in real HF bandplanning,and thust taking into account the different possible modes,CW,RTTY,PSK,HELL,FSK etc.
Much more I would like the possibility to "flash a coloured dot"on this frequency, when sending a CQ-call.It could maybe be trigged by using a subtone and a "CALL BUTTON" on the CQ100.This way CQ-calls would be quickly located even in a crowded band.Furthermore it will suppress the need to "guess for a free frequency" in a more crowded future (the last ... is at least what I'm hoping).
Regards Willy ON5KN
#7     Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:59 pm
G4UNB
NORTH MANCHESTER UK

Subject: Re: Calling Frequency

W6KY wrote:
How about marking the 'Calling Frequencies' in a way that when people are having a QSO or TESTING, instead of the frequency readout showing 'Voice Band or CW Band' it flashes 'CALLING FREQ' in RED... This, hopefully, would remind users they are sitting on the Calling Freq having a QSO :shock: ... I have heard several sit on the Calling Freq and try to resolve audio problems or just have a QSO.... Thoughts?? 73, Art W6KY

I agree with this post, for if people forget or just refuse to qsy from the calling frequency it spoils it for everyone else monitering the said frequency...anything that disdinguishes it as the CALLING FREQ would be a very good idea!
Cheers
David.
#8     Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:19 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

This would be a great feature if possible..

Steve - W0SDG
#9     Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:49 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

I would like to see the 14.200 (voice) and 14.058 (cw) listed as "voice calling frequency" and "cw calling frequency". Maybe an explanation in the "manual" that one must always qsy upon making the contact so that new and old user alike, all are aware of the "rule". And on those two frequencies you would probably need to place some kind of specific instruction regarding "make your contact and qsy to a clear frequency".

I suppose you could apply the same idea to each band, but until you have many more thousands of members (which there will be) I would vote for only using this on the "20 meter" band.

Encourage members (in the manual) to use ALL the bands if they desire, but that their chances of making a quick contact will be better if they use the calling freq. on 20.

I have my favorite spots that I hang out on but from time to time have used the above mentioned frequencies.
#10     Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:25 am
KB0UDQ
Wichita, Kansas

Subject:

I think a nice addition would be to make the CW part of the Spectrum Line in Red, other colors for other special operations. Also a taller spike for the calling frequencies so they would stand out. It has been suggested before, a listing (call sign and name only) of the Current Group involved in the QSO on the radio face next to the operators info.

You have done an EXCELLENT job of putting this together. KB0UDQ, Calvin

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.