Archive

Topic: Two things (2 replies)
#1     Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 am
G0TUJ
HULL. UK

Subject: Two things

Two things come to mind here. I have had a good look around on the various bands and now I can see why some members groan about, 'where have all the thousands of registered members gone.' On all of the bands, excepting 20 mtrs, there is no way of knowing where to call CQ. On the 20 mtrs band we do at least know that we can call CQ on 14.058. But that is only one option. What about 80 mtrs. 40 mtrs. 15 mtrs and 10 mtrs? This is not real amateur radio and the bands are not the actual, real bands. But QSONET is brilliant and ought to be brought up to scratch by getting rid of all the dithering I have read on so many posts.

I think that the creator of this marvelous software should arbitrarily if it is neccessary, change the software (would this be too much trouble) and put in definite CQ calling frequencies, just as he has done on 20 mtrs. This would give everyone a place to go and from where they could call CQ. It would give all those who are drifting here and there in the hope of coming across a caller, something definite to hang on too. They could then QSY to another section of that band. As it stands now, there is no CQ calling frequency and anyone wanting to call has to decide where they do it. Worse than trying to pick the spot in a 'Spot the ball competition'. They can call and call and call and if by chance (and it would be by chance) some operator heard the call, then they might get a QSO. But it is a slim chance as things stand. I know, I have tried it. Not everyone want to go on 20 mtrs. Does what I have written, make any sense. It is no good the members trying to agree a calling frequency on the other bands as everyone will have a different idea. I believe the softwares creator should put the CQ frequencies in and let the members give it a try. This should be for both CW and Voice. Because before long I shall be joining the thousands who want to get on and use this software but can't. There you are, thats my pennyworth.

The other thing I have on my mind is that excellent piece of software, Dahdidah, without which I would not be able to work on CW. I have found it to be fantastic, especially since I downloaded ASIO. But one thing needs changing. Every time I switch my 'rig' on I have to set up Dahdidah again. If only (where have I heard that before) the programs creator could spare a few minutes to put in a facility which would enable the user to lock the settings so that they would not need re-entering everytime it is used. This would make using Dahdidah so much sweeter and save an awfull lot of frustration too.

Two things! If only I could hope that something might be done about them and soon? Maybe some of those missing members might turn up as mysteriously as they dissapeared. Well I can at least hope. Regards G0TUJ.
#2     Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:42 pm
VE6ER
Edmonton AB

Subject:

I believe the idea of CQ100 was to simulate as much as possible the 'on the air' type radio. I suggest you turn on your HF rig and tune across all the bands and look for the calling frequency. There are none. On CQ100 there are two calling frequencies 14.058 CW (which you identified) and 14.200 phone. You can use those and then move off to any frequency on any band or call CQ on any band. It's a great system, let's not clutter it up with unnecessary things. Keep to the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
#3     Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:26 am
G0WAC
Derby

Subject: CQ calling frequencies.

Now if my memory serves me correctly this idea is a throw back to the methods used on the old illegal CB ssb pirate radio. It seemed to work for those guys - but to me it would always remind me of the pirate radio boys, not licenced hams.
Best regards from Keith g0wac.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.