Archive

Topic: Just Dreaming - About Linking and Remote Control (12 replies)
#1     Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:00 pm
VE3EFC

Subject: Just Dreaming - About Linking and Remote Control

It has occured to me that the CQ100 transceiver could possibly be extended to provide "rig control" for your hardware. Its just a matter of sending the necessary rig commands on the serial port. It would be something like Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD).

Another thought: If someone puts their rig mic near the computer speakers, and their computer mic near the rig speakers, QsoNet could act as a link or repeater. Both Vox's would need to be carefully adjusted. I am sure there are better ways than this simple suggestion. It's something to think about. I guess different countries will have different laws about remote control of HF transmitters.
#2     Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:25 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Careful!

Please be careful should you decide to experiment with putting CQ100
traffic on the amateur radio bands. Those who might access it may not have priveleges on the frequency you are using. Worse yet, you may violate international third party traffic laws!

#3     Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:08 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Yes, this is a gray area which may vary from one country to another. I have seen an "opinion" from my Canadian government that it is perfectly ok to re- transmit on-air amateur traffic over QsoNet, as long as its real time and not recorded. Hams have no expectation of privacy on the air.

I heard one opinion that as long as the RF station owner is licensed,identifies and is "at the controls", he may re-transmit VOIP traffic from any station regardless how or if that station is licensed. Its really just an old-fashioned phone patch.

I am sure the people at Echolink know lots about the legalities involved. It is their specialty. The ARRL book written by K1RFD has a good discussion of this issue.
#4     Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:53 pm
K9FB
Kokomo, Indiana

Subject:

The very first thing I wanted to do was to interface my UHF linking transceiver to the CQ100 so I could move about the house while communicating! I am doing that using a VOX-VOX arrangement, and it works quite well. While an HRD-type CAT interface would be great, the simpler COM port keying scheme using the serial RTS/DTR outputs and CTS/DSR inputs as "COR" and "PTT" keying lines would be simple and effective. Echolink and eQSO currently provide this feature, and it is easy to interface with almost any rig.

Of course the sky is the limit with this "software defined" virtual radio. One of the things that appeals to me most, though, is that it behaves like a real HF radio. As in real radio, one can tune the bands anonymously, and to make a contact it is necessary to put out some calls! I would be hesitant to suggest adding dozens of features that cause the concept to diverge away from the "real radio" operating simulation. Real radio features like scan, memory presets, and spectrum scope tuning aids would be great. But I'm not so sure about lists of logged-on stations or other features that are simply not realistic aspects in a real radio operating scenario.

This is a great concept for those with limited capability to get on the air, and even for those of us who can. I'm glad I downloaded the CQ100 and tried it. The concept greatly exceeded my expectations!
#5     Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:18 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Thanks John for those nice comments. You understand perfectly what QsoNet is trying to achieve. I purposely left out things like buddy lists, live video and picture sharing. I wanted a realistic simulation of a real HF transceiver.

I am now working on Click on the band scope for tuning and Seek Up/Down for tuning. This improved tuning is really nice, but I need to fix a problem where it sometimes misses the target by 1 kHz.

I have never used the frequency presets on my Kenwood, but I guess some people like them.

The other priority is to fix the little bug where the station ID lines often dissappear while a station is transmitting.

A few people are reporting linking success with the vox-to-vox method. Some have asked for the serial port connection to assist in Linking. This will be quite easy to do and transparent to people who don't use it. We need to do some more thinking as to getting organized for linking. Maybe we need a special band for linked stations.
#6     Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:38 am
KB8YIO
Chicago Heights

Subject: I Am sure every echolink user wants to know

VE3EFC wrote:
Thanks John for those nice comments. You understand perfectly what QsoNet is trying to achieve. I purposely left out things like buddy lists, live video and picture sharing. I wanted a realistic simulation of a real HF transceiver.

I am now working on Click on the band scope for tuning and Seek Up/Down for tuning. This improved tuning is really nice, but I need to fix a problem where it sometimes misses the target by 1 kHz.

I have never used the frequency presets on my Kenwood, but I guess some people like them.

The other priority is to fix the little bug where the station ID lines often dissappear while a station is transmitting.

A few people are reporting linking success with the vox-to-vox method. Some have asked for the serial port connection to assist in Linking. This will be quite easy to do and transparent to people who don't use it. We need to do some more thinking as to getting organized for linking. Maybe we need a special band for linked stations.

I Am sure Many Echolink Users want to know if you are going to make it com port compad... I currently have been running test with echostation with vox and echolink and cq 100 .. it works great except echostation does not want to let go of the carrier.... otherwise it works like a charm....
So interfacing CQ100 with the comport rts/dtr i thinks its pin 5 and 7 ......not sure tho.
kb8yio
#7     Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:06 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

There seems to be a lot of interest in linking, so maybe its not just dreamimg. I had not intended to compete with EchoLink, but it would be quite easy to add the com port stuff into the CQ100 transceiver. There might be some system changes required like special frequency tags or node numbers. I am not sure of the legal issues.

Let's say it is officially on the TODO list for version 2.0 timeframe approx 60 days. I will start a new topic for Linking suggestions.
#8     Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm
KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado

Subject: Re: Careful!

Hi everyone:
W7RJR wrote:
Please be careful should you decide to experiment with putting CQ100
traffic on the amateur radio bands. Those who might access it may not have priveleges on the frequency you are using. Worse yet, you may violate international third party traffic laws!
But that's assuming you link HF to the CQ100. If you link to a 2 meter simplex frequency or repeater, where's the violation?

Cheers :D

Quote:
#9     Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:45 pm
KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado

Subject:

Hi everyone:

The only drawback I see with linking the CQ100 to RF is unless a DTMF command feature is included whereas you can punch up a "frequency" for the CQ100 to go to, you can switch bands all you want with the CQ100, but you'd still be transmitting over RF.

Just a thought. :D

Cheers & 73 :D
#10     Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:49 am
KB2ITR
Stroudsburg , PA

Subject: Linking Features

The ability To Connect to RF 2m,70cm,HF etc... Thru Com port
Settings Like all Other Voip Programs Can Be achieved.
it will need to have RTS DTR And (CD) Known as Carrier Detection
And the option to be inverted as well..

The users of Course would need a interface to connect there Radios
To the PC Like Rigblaster Plus USB or Signalink USB

Then the next Step would be Band Planning What Band would be used
For Linking Stations. Plus some dtmf Controls for CQ100 to Control
The Station from a RF Radio....!

Still Cq100 is a Great Software and has The potential to Be Better....
Thats up to the Software Designer to Make that Happen But who
Knows this may happen or Not..... Again it is still a great Software
I will Leave that up to you....

Mike KB2ITR 73's

:D

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.