Archive

Topic: Suggestions from Trippy WD8OEP (4 replies)
#1     Sun May 03, 2009 7:48 am
VE3EFC

Subject: Suggestions from Trippy WD8OEP

Name of poster: Trippy
call sign: wd8oep
1. I absolutely love the idea of a listen only version of cq100 for nonhams. As long as they can't transmit, it's great! It would be a ham receiver, and that's great, indeed, and that's how I got interested in getting my ham ticket!
However, let's not ever compromise this cq100 transceiver version! Folks, you all don't know this, but I have been working behind the seens to get this program respected by more of the hams on HF. Right now, they think this isn't radio, but it is, oh it is indeed! I have sent 15 emails to 15 different owners of contests on HF saying, "can you include cq100 in your list of bands, next year in your contest announcement?" I don't want my work to be in vain here! Folks, what we don't want to do is hurt our own causes here. This is the best hf there is! No qrm, qsb, foreign broadcast stations, no static crashes, and no propagation problems, and it's growing, so, let's not compromise this version of hf.
2. Also, right now, when someone goes to the cq100 web page, www.qsonet.com, it says, "virtual ionisphere for ham radio." Let's change that to say instead, "virtual hf for ham radio."
3. we need to have cq100 only be used by hams within their licensed frequency allocation. Right now, there are no restrictions on what frequencies different classes of licensees can use and it's not helping our wonderful program folks. If we want every ham to switch to cq100 from hf on the rf side, we better make it as real as possible, and 1 way to do that, is to make people transmit only where they are licensed to transmit. You will never hear wd8oep on the extra bands, cause I'm only a general.
4. I'm mixed on the price, as well. Folks, remember, hf on the rf side is free, no $32 a year. That's a criticism I hear on regular hf and on 2 meters when I have ben talking about cq100 and promoting it.
5. I'm an avid contester, of 32 years now. I would like to use a loging program, such as the n3fjp software, or, even just microsoft word, to type in my qsos that I make on cq100, but I tryed alt tab and instead of being taken back to microsoft word, from cq100, I am only taken back to the desktop in windows. So, let's see if someone can make cq100 work with microsoft word, or, with the n3fjp contesting software.
Thanks folks, for letting me post, and thanks to Doug for posting this for me, since I'm blind, and my screen reader will not let me post anything to the forums, accept a subject line.
My fingers are tired, from all this typing, but hopefully, it will be worth it. I believe in this virtual hf software the way it is, and if we ever do let nonhams transmit on the ham bands using cq100, this ham will never use the software, and will uninstall it from his computer.
Trippy, wd8oep
#2     Tue May 05, 2009 7:22 am
KB3NPH
Spring Run, PA

Subject: Re: Suggestions from Trippy WD8OEP

VE3EFC wrote:
1. I absolutely love the idea of a listen only version of cq100 for nonhams. As long as they can't transmit, it's great! It would be a ham receiver, and that's great, indeed, and that's how I got interested in getting my ham ticket!

>>> A RECEIVE ONLY version of this program is a great idea. I know of one ham who is handicaped now and doesn't get on the air any more, however he still enjoys listening. Great idea for someone like that.<<<<

However, let's not ever compromise this cq100 transceiver version! Folks, you all don't know this, but I have been working behind the seens to get this program respected by more of the hams on HF. Right now, they think this isn't radio, but it is, oh it is indeed! I have sent 15 emails to 15 different owners of contests on HF saying, "can you include cq100 in your list of bands, next year in your contest announcement?" I don't want my work to be in vain here! Folks, what we don't want to do is hurt our own causes here. This is the best hf there is! No qrm, qsb, foreign broadcast stations, no static crashes, and no propagation problems, and it's growing, so, let's not compromise this version of hf.

>>>> A year ago this past April the PSK/DIGITAL users group organized a contest here on CQ-100. It was open to all who were interested. There were plenty of people who asked for it. It was sponsored by CQ-100, eQSL.CC and the PSK Net. All total we had about 10 people participate in the contest which ran for 48 hours. Seems people talk, but they won't act.>>>>

2. Also, right now, when someone goes to the cq100 web page, www.qsonet.com, it says, "virtual ionisphere for ham radio." Let's change that to say instead, "virtual hf for ham radio."
3. we need to have cq100 only be used by hams within their licensed frequency allocation. Right now, there are no restrictions on what frequencies different classes of licensees can use and it's not helping our wonderful program folks. If we want every ham to switch to cq100 from hf on the rf side, we better make it as real as possible, and 1 way to do that, is to make people transmit only where they are licensed to transmit. You will never hear wd8oep on the extra bands, cause I'm only a general.

>>>> Restricting the frequency usage on CQ-100 according to license class would be very detremental to the program. Had it not been for the fact that when I was a Tech class operator, I was able to actually participate in QSOs with other class operators, and work CW and the other many digital modes in an HF atmosphere, I would have probably not gotten excited enough about HF to advance to my General Ticket. CQ-100 was very inspiring for me to upgrade to General.<<<<

4. I'm mixed on the price, as well. Folks, remember, hf on the rf side is free, no $32 a year. That's a criticism I hear on regular hf and on 2 meters when I have ben talking about cq100 and promoting it.

>>>> People go out and spend $1000.00 on a 2-meter rig that is at the most capable of contacting the same people within a say 100 mile area of their QTH. How many years of enjoyment would they receive, and how many great people would they meet, from all over the world, with that same amount invested in CQ-100? <<<<

5. I'm an avid contester, of 32 years now. I would like to use a loging program, such as the n3fjp software, or, even just microsoft word, to type in my qsos that I make on cq100, but I tryed alt tab and instead of being taken back to microsoft word, from cq100, I am only taken back to the desktop in windows. So, let's see if someone can make cq100 work with microsoft word, or, with the n3fjp contesting software.

>>>> I use DX Lab SUITE's DX Keeper Logbook with CQ-100. It's easy to use. I use the same program to log my HF contacts. You can have it right up on the screen with CQ-100, and when you enter a call into the field, it automatically contacts QRZ.COM and fills in all the other info about the contact. >>>>>

Thanks folks, for letting me post, and thanks to Doug for posting this for me, since I'm blind, and my screen reader will not let me post anything to the forums, accept a subject line.
My fingers are tired, from all this typing, but hopefully, it will be worth it. I believe in this virtual hf software the way it is, and if we ever do let nonhams transmit on the ham bands using cq100, this ham will never use the software, and will uninstall it from his computer.
Trippy, wd8oep

73s Trippy and enjoy CQ-100 It is a great program and Doug is has done and is doing a great job with it.

Tim (KB3NPH)
#3     Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:01 am
OE5AKM
Linz, Austria

Subject: Re: Suggestions from Trippy WD8OEP

VE3EFC wrote:

Virtual Ionosphere?
Virtual HF?

Why not Amateur Radio over IP (ARoIP)?

73, Alfred, OE5AKM
#4     Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:34 am
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: CQ100

I like Alfred's name the best, for CQ 100.

One must remember HF radios cost a bundle these days, CQ 100 doesn't, and the way the restrictions are coming world wide<no antennas>, etc, this is a golden path of the modern radio communications, and lets one back on radio and not stopping altogether.

POB/K8LEN :shock:
#5     Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:44 am
OE5AKM
Linz, Austria

Subject:

ARoIP (Amateur Radio over IP) has been accepted by Acronym Finder:

http:// www.acronymfinder.com

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.