Archive

Topic: Calling Frequencies on Each Band (5 replies)
#1     Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 am
WA0HFO
Marshalltown, IA USA

Subject: Calling Frequencies on Each Band

Would it be possible to create designated Calling Frequencies on the other five available bands? Wouldn't this encourage more usage of these other bands?
#2     Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:34 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: Calling frequencies

There are several well known, but not advertised calling frequencies. They are where hams gather with other hams of similar interests gather.

Some of the frequencies are home to nets. Others just where a hangout has been established.

Not much different than RF ham radio. Just that CQ100 offers better propagation.
#3     Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:32 pm
WA0HFO
Marshalltown, IA USA

Subject: Re: Calling frequencies

W2BLC wrote:
There are several well known, but not advertised calling frequencies. They are where hams gather with other hams of similar interests gather.

Some of the frequencies are home to nets. Others just where a hangout has been established.

Not much different than RF ham radio. Just that CQ100 offers better propagation.

Yes, it's true, there are a few frequencies in the CQ100 bands (3.5, 7.0, 21.0, 28.0, 29.0) where certain groups/nets hangout - but you are right, they are not well known, unless you just stumble onto them. Even so, I think you would have to agree 75 to 90% of the QSOs take part on the 14.0 band only.

My thought was, having a single designated calling frequency per band "specifically earmarked" (as it is in the 20m band) would encourage wider usage of the other bands, and at the same time would prevent casual QSOs (or CQs ) from occurring on those frequencies typically used by groups/nets.
#4     Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:57 pm
2E0GSD
helston cornwall

Subject:

I THINK THAT HAVING A CALLING FREQUENCY ON OTHER BANDS IS GREAT
IT WOULD ENCOURAGE OPERATORS TO USE ALL THE BANDS INSTEAD OF JUST 20meters IT CERTAINLY IS MUCH BETTER THAN THE STUPID IDEA OF HAVING MUSIC ON 29Mgz
#5     Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:49 pm
KP3S
ISABELA, PR

Subject:

Well this anwsered my questiong about calling frequencies on the other bands. I think is a good idea.
#6     Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:08 pm
K4DPC
Wilmington, NC

Subject:

I know it is all a mind game that it really doesn't matter, but I sure would like to see a calling Freq on each band also. Call me silly but I still prefer 10 meters even if it is virtual 10. :?

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.