Topic: Permission to play music in limited portion of 29Mhz Band (35 replies)
#31     Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:25 pm
Independence, IA
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2

Although everyone seems to be "right on" as far as no music, I think, since this is NOT real radio over RF, that it MAY be good for the "real hobby" if there was a sub-band on each band set aside for those SWLers or others who may be "interested" in ham radio. The FCC basically has something similar to this called "tech" license. It comes with stripped down access, but still allows newcomers to get their feet wet.

Possibly, assigning a call sign (in an unusual but recognizable format) to the new person and limiting their participation to a sub-band to practice with. Maybe insist that they put in so much time in active QSOs with other amateurs during a period of time. Maybe like a "free 3 month" period to learn about what's going on. Then give them 6 months following the end of this 3 month practice period to obtain a real FCC license.

Maybe have a small group of Extra class hams hold weekly or nightly classes on one of their accessible frequencies. It would be fairly easy to do online tech classes since multiple participants can utilize one frequency.

This would not only increase the numbers of real hams, it would maybe involve more youth in ham radio AND generate more revenue for the "big boss".

Outside of the music aspect, THIS idea would be a winner. The music, I agree is a bad idea. Shoutcast and others are available for this and shoutcast is free including the software even. However, keep in mind that you still need to pay the royalties if you intend to broadcast even using shoutcast. But there are blanket licenses you can get for a small internet radio station that covers everything and costs less than 400 a yr. So, if you are serious, go get a few sponsors to pay your royalty fees and you're in business.

This is my opinion on both subjects. I think we should have a vote on the "beginners" entry level myself.

#32     Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 pm
Stephens City, Virginia, USA
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 57

Fortunately, Doug has the only vote that counts. If non-hams want a system that allows SWL and other non-hams, then use Hamsphere. CQ100 is just fine the way it is as regards limiting usage to licensed amateur radio operators.

#33     Wed May 04, 2011 1:20 am
Clarkton, NC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Subject: RE:Music

I'm in agreement with NJ3H! completely! this is a great program!
if you want to play music and talk with unlicensed users on the amateur
frequencies (I don't care IF it is on the Internet) then HAMSPHERE! is
the place for all that! the folks here are licensed REAL amateurs!
#34     Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 am
Houston, Tx.
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4

There should never have been a first post on this subject.
The whole point of supplying a license to be cleared for use here,
is to make this a virtual or simulated AMATEUR RADIO OPERATION.
that implies that it will be used acording to existing amateur
radio operation rules. PLAIN AND SIMPLE !

If you think you are a great DJ, get a podcasting setup
complete with paid royalties etc. Besides, why would you waste
all that effort to "broadcast" to a very small and limited group
that probably 98% of wouldn't care anyway.

#35     Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 am
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Subject: music

no way ,this program is a blessing to ham radio operators, music would defeat this program, when hf isn`t working this is the next best way. am I am sticking to it!! NO MUSIC
#36     Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 pm
New Chelsea
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1

Amateur radio operators talk . If you want to play music go to another site. Its bad enough hearing a person preach religion on 3.855 MHz . Stick to ham radio....

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.