Archive

Topic: Permission to play music in limited portion of 29Mhz Band (35 replies)
#11     Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:54 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Wow, Joe. You give us a lot to think about.

Regarding music royalties:

Companies that provide SHOUTCast servers to amateur DJ's include music royalty payments in their per-seat pricing.

Ten years ago, many people who placed low quality MIDI tunes on personal web sites were getting threatening letters from US lawyers. This was before MP3's and Napster.

People are not allowed to sing "Happy Birthday" in a public restaurant because the restaurant could be sued, regardless of the size of the audience or the quality of the singing.

In Canada, the government embeds a music royalty charge into the cost of every blank CD and DVD.
#12     Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:29 am
W2AHP
Brick, NJ

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:

People are not allowed to sing "Happy Birthday" in a public restaurant because the restaurant could be sued, regardless of the size of the audience or the quality of the singing.

Perhaps that kind of thing was the genesis of the Shakepsearian line in King Henry VI "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers' 8)
#13     Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:47 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: Hard line needed

If you want to play make believe FM Broadcast DJ - then build your own website for that purpose. Music has no purpose in amateur radio.
#14     Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:50 am
2E0GSD
helston cornwall

Subject:

IM GLAD TO SEE A FEW OPERATORS THINK THAT PLAYING MUSIC ON THE 29Mhz SECTION OF CQ100 IS NOT A GOOD IDEA IF MUSIC IS WHAT YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO TRY A RADIO IM STILL NOT IN FAVOUR OF IT AT ALL
#15     Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 am
M3FYJ
nottingam

Subject: music

Theres plenty of room on CQ100, if someone wants to play a bit of music and talk about it I can't see the warm it that.
#16     Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:23 pm
G1KTZ
io70tm

Subject:

Whether we like it or not ham radio has changed in many ways in the 25yrs I have been involved in the hobby.
Some good and some not so good,we have to move with the times and the amount of under used chanels on cq100 would not affect any one.
you dont like the music you move the dial no real difference to not liking a qso you move on. so come on guys get your head out of the sand give it a go...
Dave G1KTZ
#17     Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:47 pm
KD4QFT
Orlando FL.

Subject: Permission to play music in limited portition of 29 mhz Band

Whilst talking to the person who is requesting the playing of music on Cq100, he is interested in audio equipment, and would like a spot to play music to make a judgement on the make and type of say a pre amp or a particular type of sound device.
Other sites can be found to do this of course, but those sites do not have Amateur only rules, and though all amateurs do not have a technical background we could all listen and give our opinion.
I really do not understand why when three thousand frequencies are available on Cq100 ten Kcs could not be allocated to this media, I usually count the frequencies being used and it seldom goes over thirty counting all bands, thats one per cent use, therfore two thousand nine hundred and seventy free, ninety nine per cent not used.
We do have people with differant ideas and beliefs and I do not understand how some groups can be allowed to have their special group meetings discussing their beliefs and others not allowed.
If I do not like what your group are talking about I can go to another spot
to listen.
Amateur radio in my opinion is a dying hobby we need topics of interest to keep it going.
#18     Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:19 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: and what willo be the next little request?

A resounding NO!

Give up on tnis point and there will only be more and more "special" requests.

Keep it under "amateur rules" that is what makes it so good and keeps attracting new member licensed hams.

Want to play music on the ham bands - go ask the FCC for a broadcast license and play music where it belongs.
#19     Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:29 pm
G0CTP
io83te

Subject: Permission to play music in limited portion of 29mhz band

After reading all the comments regarding playing music on this program I am with agreement with other amateurs to say no and my reason is this program was based on virtual ham radio just like your real radio.
And Douglas who wrote this program has stipulated the rules on here and he is has made it a really good program to communicate and make friends around the world seeing conditions are that bad on real radio at the moment.
If like some people say that other programs you can play music on well I have one answer for that use the other program donít whinge on here like babies but on the other hand we are all guilty when using ham radio and this program to have music or the television on in the background - got no problem with that as long as It didnít come over the operatorís voice.
But some operators donít have the brains they were born with and the next thing you would have is a broadcasting station on this program and to me this would be a big can of worms opening the flood gates to everything.
DOUGLAS if you read these forum msgs I would like to say what a wonderful program you have written and not made it like Eqso [separate chat rooms where you can see all operators in the room]
Itís nice to go to a channel like real radio and just listen like real radio and if you want to join in then introduce yourself on that channel.
Keep up the good work Douglas.
#20     Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:32 am
MW3TKI
Swansea UK

Subject: Re: Permission to play music in limited portion of 29Mhz Ban

We believe it would be great fun to share music from around the world as it is part of the culture.

Let's face it, Amateur radio as it has been in the past is dying. Few youngsters are joining the hobby. I am 52 and am one of the youngsters on CQ100.

Perhaps it's time to rethink some of the old rules and think of how to make ham radio interesting to youngsters again.

--- ooo ---

Thanks for the opportunity to vote in this important debate. It seems so far that the majority are in favour of a lifting Rule 5 -

MW3TKI - 73 - Ian

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.