Archive

Topic: Permission to play music in limited portion of 29Mhz Band (35 replies)
#1     Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:15 pm
W2AHP
Brick, NJ

Subject: Permission to play music in limited portion of 29Mhz Band

Several of us on CQ100 are audiophiles and would like permission to play music in a limited area of the 29Mhz band. We don't see any legitimate reason why this should be a problem for those who do not wish to hear music. Unlike 'real radio' there is no issue with interference, etc. For those who don't want to hear it they can simply tune away, just as we tune away from QSOs we aren't interested in.

We believe it would be great fun to share music from around the world as it is part of the culture. :)

Let's face it, Amateur radio as it has been in the past is dying. Few youngsters are joining the hobby. I am 52 and am one of the youngsters on CQ100. :x

Perhaps it's time to rethink some of the old rules and think of how to make ham radio interesting to youngsters again.

I hope you will seriously consider this suggestion. We can't think of a single legitimate reason to be against it. If anyone has legitimate opposition to this suggestion please post it here so we can discuss it.

BE SURE AND LOG IN AND VOTE IN THE POLL!!!

If after logging in it still wont let you vote then click the refresh button in your browser.

John
#2     Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:54 pm
2E0GSD
helston cornwall

Subject:

AS REGARDS TO HAVING A PORTION OF 29meg ALLOCATED FOR PLAYING MUSIC I DO NOT THINK IT SHOULD EVEN BE DISCUSSED THE RULES STATE NO MUSIC OR ADVERTISING OR BAD LANGUAGE MAYBE THE STATION WHO POSTED THIS IDEA SHOULD READ THEM BEFORE MAKING THE SUGGESTION IF THIS IS APPROVED I SHALL PACK UP CQ100 AND AS I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER FOR OVER TWO YEARS THIS WOULD BE A WRENCH THIS A GREAT PROGRAM AND LET MUSIC STAY ON THE RADIO NOT ON HERE
#3     Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:09 pm
W2AHP
Brick, NJ

Subject:

2E0GSD wrote:
AS REGARDS TO HAVING A PORTION OF 29meg ALLOCATED FOR PLAYING MUSIC I DO NOT THINK IT SHOULD EVEN BE DISCUSSED THE RULES STATE NO MUSIC OR ADVERTISING OR BAD LANGUAGE MAYBE THE STATION WHO POSTED THIS IDEA SHOULD READ THEM BEFORE MAKING THE SUGGESTION IF THIS IS APPROVED I SHALL PACK UP CQ100 AND AS I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER FOR OVER TWO YEARS THIS WOULD BE A WRENCH THIS A GREAT PROGRAM AND LET MUSIC STAY ON THE RADIO NOT ON HERE

I mean this in all sincerety now. You have the option to listen or not listen to a QSO on any given 'frequency' on CQ100. So if you don't like a QSO for whatever reason you tune away right ? So how would someone else enjoying sharing music effect you :?: You tune in, hear music, and tune away and you don't have to listen to music. Why would you wish to deny others the enjoyment of sharing music because you don't like music? I don't like hearing CW but don't wish to deny others that enjoyment.

As for the rules, I understand it is rule and hence this post requesting a change to the rule. Rules change Dave. In America it used to be a rule that you had to learn CW to get a ham license. That rule is gone. I can see a valid reason not to allow music on real ham radio due to interference but interference is not an issue on CQ100

Thanks for posting your thoughts though.

#4     Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:55 am
GM0MRJ
scotland

Subject:

HI I think it would be a good idea for those who want to play music, but what happens if someone is playing music that someone else does'nt like, then you could get a lot of bad feeling .
Any way wish you all the best hope you get it of the ground.Make sure you have some Dean Martin............HAHa . GM0MRJ[/b]
#5     Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:56 am
GM0MRJ
scotland

Subject:

HI I think it would be a good idea for those who want to play music, but what happens if someone is playing music that someone else does'nt like, then you could get a lot of bad feeling .
Any way wish you all the best hope you get it of the ground.Make sure you have some Dean Martin............HAHa . GM0MRJ
#6     Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:06 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Interesting idea. There are royalty issues in "broadcasting" music. I would hate to get sued by the Grateful Dead.
#7     Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 am
W2AHP
Brick, NJ

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
Interesting idea. There are royalty issues in "broadcasting" music. I would hate to get sued by the Grateful Dead.

True, but I dont think CQ100 qualifies as broadcasting
#8     Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 am
K3KGX
Beaver Falls, PA

Subject: Broadcasting Music

Would using CQ100 to broadcast music over a wireless computer network be considered broadcasting copyrighted music?? I don't know.
#9     Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:40 pm
W2AHP
Brick, NJ

Subject: Re: Broadcasting Music

K3KGX wrote:
Would using CQ100 to broadcast music over a wireless computer network be considered broadcasting copyrighted music?? I don't know.

Well, I'm no lawyer but I think the key is "broad"cast. There is no broad audience on CQ100. In fact it is a very narrow audience limited to licensed hams. I doubt that any given QSO on CQ100 has more than a dozen or so listeners at any given time. Hardly a broad audience. Hardly anything a copyright holder would care about. :o

Check out www.shoutcast.com where there are far more listeners (some have 1000 or more listeners at any given time) and no license required (anyone can listen in, not just licensed hams) and they are playing music and have been for many years now. 8)

Copyright holders only take action when they see you as a threat to their income. CQ100 certainly wouldn't be a threat. The audio quality isn't good enough where anyone would want to record and save the music. We aren't talking about broadcasting here, we are talking about the abillity to play and talk about music as part of a QSO.
#10     Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:43 pm
VE3OV
Toronto Ontario

Subject:

Iím trying to answer the question; should playing music on the CQ100 28 MHz Band be allowed? As I come up with a reason to vote yes, I also come up with a reason to vote no. Iíve been thinking about this issue and these are my comments.

To allow music would be quite a change in the rules we go by. To allow music, would open the door to allowing other similar projects on CQ100.

Iíve read a lot more on the topic of allowing SWLs on CQ100 than I have about the music topic. After some thinking about these topics, these are my comments for what they are worth.

- My definition of "music" is the CQ100 user playing their own self-composed music into their microphone. But, to play through my microphone my favorite track from a commercial CD on my music shelf is clearly a violation of copyright laws, especially since the CQ100 service is a commercial venture for its owner.

- The 29 MHz Band on CQ100 should be expanded to 29.990 MHz up from the current 29.700 MHz.

- The 21 MHz Band on CQ100 should be expanded to 21.990 MHz up from the current 21.450 MHz.

- CQ100 members would be allowed to transmit music between 29.700 to 30.000 MHz. On a regular radio, these are not Amateur Radio frequencies.

- Music transmitted would be preceded and followed by spoken audio directed only to a specific operator at the receive end. Any form of open broadcasting to be quickly shut down.

- Registered licensed paid up CQ100 operators would be allowed to sponsor unlicensed individuals to become registered CQ100 operators who would be limited to operation only between 21.450 and 21.999 MHz. On a regular radio, these are not Amateur Radio frequencies.

- Sponsored CQ100 operators would receive a unique call sign. As an example ĎS1VE3OVí for the first unlicensed operator under my sponsorship of VE3OV. The above suggestions would maintain intact the current Amateur Radio Bands in the CQ100 Transceiver but also allow for special additional features to be added to the program. What Iím also saying is: To be fair, Iíll support your pet initiative, if you support mine.

Letís make this a win-win situation for everyone:

- The operators of the CQ100 operation (more usage and revenue).

- The shut out individuals seeking access to a Ham Radio program where they can meet Ham Radio operators.

- The users who want to exchange music.

- Amateur Radio Operators who want to introduce other members of the family to CQ100 or to be able to talk back to the family from out of town.

Joe - VE3OV
Toronto Ontario

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.