Archive

Topic: Illegal Operation error when trying to log in (3 replies)
#1     Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:33 am
WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio

Subject: Illegal Operation error when trying to log in

I just recently (last night) installed CQ100 on my computer (Windows 98SE operating system). However, I have been having problems logging in to the system. When I enter my callsign and password, then click the login button, I get an "illegal operation" error message from Windows. This happens about seven out of every ten times I try to log in, and I'm stumped as to why. I had Echolink installed on my system; thinking it was part of the problem, I uninstalled it, then tried to log in to CQ100 again. Still got the illegal operation error. I can get CQ100 to work, but as I said it's hit or miss, with most attempts resulting in the error I just described. What could be wrong?

Thanks and 73,

Jeff, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA
#2     Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:06 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Jeff,
Sorry CQ100 does not work with Windows 98.
http://qsonet.com/programs.html
#3     Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm
WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
Hi Jeff,
Sorry CQ100 does not work with Windows 98.
http://qsonet.com/programs.html

Doug, I'm confused. I have been able to use CQ100 with Windows 98SE; in fact, I almost had a QSO with a VE3 station the first night after installing the software (I was shutting down for the night when the other station's callsign showed briefly on the CQ100's frequency display), and the program loaded on my system with no errors. The only problem is that I get several "illegal operation" errors after I enter my password and before the program finally starts; once it does start it works flawlessly until I exit the software. If this program were truly incompatible with anything older than Windows XP (including 98 and 98SE), the program either would not install on my computer or would not start if it did load (the latter condition resulting in an error message "this program must be run on Windows XP or newer"), would it not? There is a note in the FAQ section of CQ100's website that says some hams have been able to use the program with Windows 98 and 98SE; again, doesn't this indicate that the software will work after a fashion with these legacy operating systems?

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
33 miles northeast of Cleveland
#4     Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:38 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Some things the program does may work fine on 98 and some other things will crash. It varies with your hardware and your 98 configuration. So the program may not crash immediately, but when you try to do a certain thing. The later versions of CQ100 seem to have more problems with 98. It sounds like your 98 has problems doing SSL secure socket connections for example. I heard a few people were using CQ100 on Windows 98, but for most people it was crashing.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.