Archive

Topic: EchLink V CQ100 (10 replies)
#1     Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:43 am
G1GRB
Ferndown Dorset UK

Subject: EchLink V CQ100

Hi Folks
I thought i would like to put my thoughts to both of the VOIP services I have tried Echolink and found it great and also CQ100 is also a great programme but i am sorry to say that Echolink has the edge because it is FREE NO FEES.
I would love to run CQ100 but not for $32 every year, But i would pay $32 for a life time service and i am sure that other hams would agree.That this is a lot of money for a lot of people. when Echolink is FREE of cost.
BTW even EQSO is Free only asks for Donations. which also is a very good VOIP server
Sorry guys at CQ100

Roy. :roll:
#2     Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:37 am
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: fees

Sorry om totally disagree...what can you get for $ 32 ??? Not even a few gallons of gas !!!
If you are a ham ,presumably you've spent $ 100's on kit ,so what's the big deal ?
#3     Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:30 am
G0WFS
Leicester, UK

Subject:

It costs about the same as the money your saving from not having to pay for your Amateur Radio license now??

Use that money and your no worse off than before eh.

Kind of like Ofcom are paying the CQ100 subs :-)
#4     Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 am
MM3XXW
Edinburgh

Subject:

I agree with you Nidge, $32 ain't exactly a fortune with the exchange rate at the moment :roll:

Take also into consideration an extremely generous 90-day trial period and you've got a winner in VOIP circles 8) 8)
#5     Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 am
G0WFS
Leicester, UK

Subject:

MM3XXW wrote:

Take also into consideration an extremely generous 90-day trial period and you've got a winner in VOIP circles 8) 8)

Just for those who decide they will pay at the end of the 90 day period.. you don't lose anything by paying before??? Doug just adds the remaining days of your trial period to the subs (or did with me).

IE if you have 60 days left now and pay up, your account page/status will change to "425 days remaining" :-)
#6     Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 am
G3HJF
Cheltenham Glos.

Subject:

One thing is certain: If the service costs something, you get a better class of client!
Jim G3HJF
#7     Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:33 pm
KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado

Subject:

Hi everyone:

MM3XXW wrote:
I agree with you Nidge, $32 ain't exactly a fortune with the exchange rate at the moment :roll:

Not to mention you also get the entire world of Amateur Radio (Albeit in a virtual sense) at your fingertips. This means you can hop onto any "frequency" on ANY "band" and WORK THE WORLD just as if you were on the real bands.

On top of that, you can have a conversation with your buddies WITHOUT having to enable any special mode (With EchoLink, you either have to get on a conference server or enable conferencing).

And before anyone brings up Skype, it's not secure for use on the Ham bands (Nor is it designed to be). Now that I have an RF link on EchoLink, I'd rather keep ALL of my Ham stuff on EchoLink and CQ100 and leave Skype for my non-Ham stuff.

Add an RF link to CQ100 and you've got an extra kick. With DTMF commands (Which I'm still trying to figure out how it's done), you can hop from frequency to frequency, band to band just as if you were right in front of the PC. I don't have a link on CQ100, but I can see why Hams who do have links have put them up though. The potential is HUGE. ;)

Anyway....I see the $32 a year price as a tradeoff. That said, I'm sure Hams working as missionaries (Many of which are no doubt are all over the real HF bands) or who live in Third World countries which barely struggle to scrape by with the few bread crumbs they can get might see things differently and could use every $$$ they can for the bare essentials of life. As such, we mustn't forget this fact and feel blessed for what we have. ;)

Just my opinion....

Cheers & 73 :D
#8     Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:33 pm
W8MLD
Lima OH

Subject:

I think this CQ100 thing is cool and all and I have met some great guys. But, I don't know yet if it is worth the $32 a year. I just started mind you, but I am still not sure. As of now I'd have to say I am doing my 90 days and that will probably be it for awhile, because even though this is cool I find actually working the real bands more satisfying. That being said, I am fortunate to have the room to put up an antenna to work 160-10 meters. If some folks don't have that luxury then I can understand why this would be a great alternative for them.
#9     Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:32 am
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: CQ100

It is a very good system and many folks worldwide have the limit put on them for antennas, and are restricted.
Echo link is good to and also hamsphere.

Payment what is $32 a year, not much, look at what you spend a week on gas or the local Ronald McDonalds. and what you spend on a spool of wire, insulators for an antenna.

It is well worth it, and I even have an outside antenna.

POB/K8LEN...RETIRED
#10     Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:34 pm
WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio

Subject:

I live in an apartment building with lease restrictions, so I cannot erect outside radio antennas. When I heard about CQ100 from one of the fellows in my local radio club, I wasted no time last night in downloading the software and sending my license image; I am also impressed by the speed with which my license was approved (I received a welcome message from VE3EFC, and my CQ100 transceiver became fully active, about two hours after uploading the license; the servers must have had a light load at the time, around 3 a.m. if I recall).

I think CQ100 is well worth the annual server fee of $32 for apartment dweller hams such as myself who would otherwise be off the air (I was off HF radio for ten years until I heard about CQ100). I am currently within the trial period (89 days left), but will certainly and gladly pay the $32 per year server access fee when the time comes. Thirty two dollars every year isn't much in today's economy (as has been noted here), and for people like me who are unable, for whatever reason, to erect outdoor antennas, CQ100 gets them back into the hobby, albeit in a virtual sense.

I realize full well that CQ100 operates entirely over the Internet and is not bound by FCC rules that govern standard over-the-air ham radio, but after all, this is the 21st century; after 37 years of communicating via the ham airwaves (I was first licensed in 1972), I feel it is time for me to start exploring some of these newer technologies such as VoIP. My hat is off to Doug, VE3EFC, and others involved in the development and operation of the QSONet service, as they are providing a service (albeit for a fee after the trial period) that, again, keeps apartment-dwelling hams and others with restrictions on antennas active in a great hobby. I missed ham radio a lot the ten years I was QRT on the HF bands after moving to my apartment, but thanks to CQ100, I am back on (albeit virtually) and as happy as the proverbial clam, especially since I can operate CW with this system. CW is my favorite mode of communication on the ham bands, and with CQ100's ability to support that mode I am now able to get back into it, almost the same as I used to work CW on HF from my former residence in a Cleveland suburb.

Thank you again, gentlemen, for a wonderful system. I sincerely hope CQ100 and QSONet are around for years to come.

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA
Grid EN91is, Lake County, OH
Hamming it up since 1972

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.