Archive

Topic: CQ100 and VISTA ????? (8 replies)
#1     Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:18 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: CQ100 and VISTA ?????

How is CQ100 working with Vista? Any problems with you guys that are running Vista?

I'm looking into a new desktop and I'm not too sure about the results I may get on CQ100 and Echolink while running Vista.

I also run other programs (as many of you do) along with CQ100 such as CwType, Dahdidah, DigiPan, etc. etc. I wonder how these will all work with Vista.

I also do have a few contacts I make on Skype and ooVoo and the same question about Vista and these programs looms in my mind.

Any info or discussion? Is it possible that one version (I think it is HOME, PREMIUM and PRO) of Vista would work better than the other?

Doug .... maybe you already have some knowledge and experience with Vista and your programs??????

thanks... rich ae0v
#2     Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:49 am
W6TVA
San Diego

Subject:

I'm running Vista Home Premium on a laptop. No problems with receive (hearing) but the built in mic is too funky to try transmit. I'll give it a try later when I can get access to an external mic.
I don't know about the other programs that you mentioned.
Happy VOIP.
Dave
#3     Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:19 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I heard from a few people that CQ100 works ok in Vista, but you might have to use the vista slider for Mic Gain instead of the provided knob.

Leo Laporte says not to try upgrading existing XP machine to VISTA because you will run into driver troubles. He says a new computer with VISTA is no problem.

I plan to wait another year before I get into VISTA. I got into 95 in 96 and I got into 98 in 99. I forget what year I got into XP but I am perfectly happy with XP.

73 Doug
#4     Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:10 pm
KE7ELT
Laugh, Nevada U.S.A.

Subject:

Hi Rich
I have a Dell Deminsion E521 CQ 100 works well with Vista i have had No problems you can make it run like its on XP but its not necesary, i have had mine for 3 months , if you have any questions on Vista i am always
monitoring the calling channel 14.200 and will be Glad to Help you , my Nw Call is K7RJP i look for to talking to you 73

Rich K7RJP
#5     Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:52 am
WB0WLS

Subject: New computer.. what to look for??

In looking for or buying a new desktop computer.... what would be the most significant items to be concerned about in order for CQ100 and other VOIP programs to work their best (assuming of course that you have a good internet connection).

Comptuer speed .. how much is acceptable ... does it really matter with VOIP?

How about the sound card... would a better sound card other than the standard ones they put play any part in a better VOIP?

What else??
#6     Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:31 pm
KE7ELT
Laugh, Nevada U.S.A.

Subject:

Hi
Most new computers come with Windows vista, withVista you need a min of 1 Gig ram for it to work great, i have 1 Gig on my new dell it is super fast, dell sound card is great , most sound cards will work well , also if you have a Brodband conection that is good dial up is too slow , if you want more info contactmeat RichKE7ELT@aol.com i will be Glad to help you 73

Rich
#7     Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:04 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

I got the new desktop with Vista Home Premium. It doesn't seem much different (if any) than my XP laptop, with a few small exceptions:

1. It seems to do very well on CW whereas my laptop continues to have trouble with lots of broken letters during RX and TX. I have only had one CW QSO tonight but had a good report. I have been sitting on the beacon for a long time and copy is very smooth and without breakup.

2. My CQ100 radio on the screen is a bit odd. It looks like it has been stretched a bit in length and the rounded knobs such as the tuning knob have a bit of an oval shape. I have tried different resolutions but nothing corrects it. STRANGE.

3. After much following around, I finally got the sound card working or I should say all the parts of the sound card. Stereo mix was well hidden. The microphone icon didn't appear until I actually plugged the mic in. hmmmm... another strange one. The sound card is totally different than that of my old 98 desktop and my XP laptop. Instead of all the little sliders side by side, one for the input and one for the output, there is just a screen that comes up with the choices.... hard to describe, but really different. I'm not sure if this is Vista or the brand of computer I bought. Actually I'm already getting used to it and kind of like it now that I've figured it out.

4. The strangest of all is when I transmit on voice, the S-meter needle registers way up on the scale.. actually once I got my audio at a good level, the needle and audio peaks were hardly any different. I worked a station in Thailand.

When I hit PTt/PTL, the needle would jump up to S-9 to 10 over S-9 and sit there. When I talked, it would peak a little above above that but not much... maybe to 20 over. When I stopped talking (mic still keyed) the needle would not drop down. It remained keyed almost like I was keying a mic on FM or AM.

The FUNNY thing... the receiving station said I was peaking at the proper S-9 level and that when I stopped talking the needle would return to ZERO until I spoke again. So on his end, it looked correct.

What in the world could be causing what seems to be a false reading on my end??

Other than that, the new machine works great and CW (so far) purrs along like a happy well fed cat.

My laptop is destined to have a problem on CW although it isgreat on everything both "radio" and computer wise. I'll do my CW on the new machine (it is my wife's the remainder of the time) and all the rest on the XP laptop.

I did lots of looking locally at the super stores and went through the building process several times on the Dell site... but when it came down to the final decision, I went with the local small computer store.

Hopefully they can figure out the problem with the slightly stretched CQ100 radio and the needle jumping up when the mic is keyed. Maybe some of you guys here on CQ100 will have some ideas. If there is no fix, it really isn't a big deal as I will be doing most of my voice contacts on the laptop.

Now... back to some good ol' CW.

rich ae0v
#8     Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:23 pm
KC9FOA
Adams, WI USA

Subject:

Just a quick note. I recently purchased a new computer with VISTA and of all the software I use CQ100 was the only one that installed and ran perfectly without any problems... kudos to the programmer. Ken
#9     Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:35 am
N8JIW
Shaker Hts.,OHIO

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
I heard from a few people that CQ100 works ok in Vista, but you might have to use the vista slider for Mic Gain instead of the provided knob.

Leo Laporte says not to try upgrading existing XP machine to VISTA because you will run into driver troubles. He says a new computer with VISTA is no problem.

I plan to wait another year before I get into VISTA. I got into 95 in 96 and I got into 98 in 99. I forget what year I got into XP but I am perfectly happy with XP.

73 Doug
i am having mic problem with vista ..cant transmit n8jiw

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.