Archive

Topic: Response to W7RJR post on Eham (19 replies)
#11     Sun May 20, 2007 8:17 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: Re: PSK Beacon Content

Opps...
#12     Sun May 20, 2007 8:29 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: Re: PSK Beacon Content

W7RJR wrote:

Ham radio beacons are propagation aids. Beacons serve no purpose on CQ100. Information bulletins promulgate generic information regarding amateur radio, not just narrow personal interests. The 'beacon' located on 14.075 was advocating the use of PSK31, joining a Saturday net, rules for the net, etc. It was a continuous one-way transmission with a few seconds pause between each one. While this is not commercial in nature it was plugging a personal interest rather than disseminating information of an interest to all radio amateurs. Code practice sessions are a different story, of course!

I object to this on principle. What if I decided it would be cool to place a 'beacon' on 14.229 to promote SSTV? If CQ100 really intends to emulate ham radio then only those activities that are acceptable on real ham radio should be acceptable here. Left unchecked such 'beacons' could result in a circus like atmosphere with everyone plugging their own personal interest(s).

My opinion again <FWIW>

Bob,

I am glad you stated that this was "your opinion". My personal opinion is that the beacons don't bother me in the least and certainly not worth the energy to either agree or disagree as it certainly does not hurt what is going on here. To me, it is a non issue situation. It's just there, doesn't bother anyone, and certainly not taking up needed band space. Some of the other items in your review I agree with and they affect everyone in my way of thinking. Some more, others less, but they are there so my opinion is that we focus on continueing to improve the performance of the CQ100 where improving needs to be considered. It's kinda like, if you don't like it, don't use it, simple as that. You can always turn the knob. Lots and lots of room on here, even for special interests..

Steve - W0SDG
#13     Mon May 21, 2007 1:44 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

Steve is right. It is no big deal. My objection was solely on principle and opinion. I agree it doesn't bother anyone (except me) :-)

No, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to start a beacon on 14.229, even if well managed, but thanks for the encouragement.

It will be interesting to see what shows up next on CQ100.

#14     Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:32 am
VE4EO
winnipeg.mb.canada

Subject:

Having read the discussion .I suggest that if you do not like how this programme works why do not the complainers write some thing better...what do you want miricles.......
Norm
#15     Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:47 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

VE4EO wrote:
Having read the discussion .I suggest that if you do not like how this programme works why do not the complainers write some thing better...what do you want miricles.......
Norm

No, just some noticable progress..

Steve -W0SDG
#16     Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:39 pm
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject: W7RJR post on Eham

I have been a ham operator for a long time and I saw a lot of the same type discussion about another new technology years ago. It was made by the AM and CW boys about this " new " technology called single sideband. I have to admit that after my 90 day free period I did not subscribe to QsoNet for a year, I subscribed for 2 YEARS and it is the best investment in ham radio I have ever made ! Doug, keep up the great work !
#17     Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:38 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Re: W7RJR post on Eham

WB5KYK wrote:
I have been a ham operator for a long time and I saw a lot of the same type discussion about another new technology years ago. It was made by the AM and CW boys about this " new " technology called single sideband. I have to admit that after my 90 day free period I did not subscribe to QsoNet for a year, I subscribed for 2 YEARS and it is the best investment in ham radio I have ever made ! Doug, keep up the great work !

I hope that your 2 year investment in 'ham radio' pays off. With a new sunspot cycle about to blossom a lot more people will return to real amateur radio.

This particular discussion was less about a 'new' technology than it was the author's response to a review he didn't like.

#18     Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:43 pm
W8JP
Birch Run, Michigan

Subject:

This is by no means an attempt to insult anyone who has replied to this subject, and yes I'm new. The bottom line is this is a tool. I'm sure everyone has lots of tools in their tool box. That doesn't mean they use all the tools for every project. Any tool has limitations. Any tool may or may not be a favorite. I even have tools I don't like, but when they are needed to do a task I'm so grateful I have them.

Amateur radio (and to a degree the Internet) is supposed to be a hobby and for fun. I also belong to another organization (not ham related) that claims to exist for fun. It is in their mission statement. Way too often people become passionate about both of these organizations to a point where the fun is lost. I'm hoping everyone involved with this wonderful tool alternative keeps the passion AND it continues to be fun for them. It is a question of not loosing focus.
#19     Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:13 am
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

Ok here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. I am brand new on here less then a month but I personally like the CQ100 and what it can do. I for one will be signing up and pay my yearly fee maybe before the 90 days are up, but at least by then if nothing else.

I have, in many other posts thrown out what I would like to see in the way of improvments, most in some cases are minor ones and to some people may even be considered as foolish, but to me it sort of heighten the excitement.

In any case I know that doug is a real busy man and may not have time to respond to everything that is said here, but if possible I would like him to post every once in awhile on his thoughts of what he all most for sure will be incorprating in new updates and when he might have a somewhat projected date for those things to come out even in a beta version for us to try.

I heard about the logging program which I think alot of us feel is a great ideal and he mentioned about adding the picture sharing feature like what he did for the CQ phone so that is great, but again it would be nice to know an approximate time frame to expect these things to come out...give us something to be looking forward to.

All of these updates do not have to happen all at once either. I would rather see one or two updates of new things to try quicker then to say he is working on 5 or 6 new things to incorprate and take 4 to 6 months or more to get them all complete. Like the one gentleman said if nothing else change the color as showing a bit of updated interest. Instead of all black how about a shiny brush metal look... Hey just a suggestion :-)
Larry N8RGO
#20     Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:46 pm
N1TKO
Lowell, Ma.

Subject:

Enjoyed reading this long thread....
I came away with what I believe the bottom line is;
CQ100 is a terrific program and there are those who are so envious of the program that they'll either use it or bad mouth it...... you know the types.... why didn't I think to do that. Very, very typical of a lot of Hams you meet these days.
Just yesterday I was listening on 20 meters via the W4MQ remote base on the Internet. I listened to a fellow running 5 watts, in the extra portion of the band, talking with another station. I dropped the guy and email and told him I had heard his station, 5/9 and was impressed with the signal he had with limited power from Seattle. The guy's name was Don and I made the mistake of calling him "Ron" in the email. His reply to me was laced with profanities I couldn't believe. If I had heard him 5/9 I would have gotten his name correct, he stated. Ham Radio is full of nice guys and then there are the jerks like this guy I mentioned who can't even take a compliment. These holier than thou snobs are all miserable and all they want to do is share their misery with others. When they see people enjoying something, they are the first to jump out and find something wrong with it. These snobs run into folks that are just a wee bit more technically savvy then they are and they feel threatened.
Doug, CQ100 is very good..... period.
If W7RJR had been a co-developer of this program it would be excellent..... but he wasn't so it sucks.
At least that's the way I interpret his rantings.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.