Archive

Topic: Where is all the ham activity (18 replies)
#1     Mon May 14, 2007 3:11 pm
VE3WLE
Sarnia Ontario

Subject: Where is all the ham activity

Hi;
I've got everything set up properly. When I first turned it on I heard a couple of hams but that's it. Now I don't even hear anyone out there. Everything is turned on and hearing the noise level in the background but no hams. Am I missing out on something here? Thanks,
Willie
#2     Mon May 14, 2007 3:23 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Willie. Right now there are 297 people like you listening and wondering where are all the hams. Only 4 are talking. Try calling CQ.
#3     Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:33 am
VU3KTB
Mumbai

Subject: NOT ABLE TO HEAR ANY STATION

I just joined. I could not hear even a single station. I gave cQ calls on 7 and 14 mhz but to no avail. Can anybody help me.
#4     Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:49 pm
KE7ELT
Laugh, Nevada U.S.A.

Subject:

Hi guys
the problem is it depends on the time of day your on , if your in England there is a 8 hour difference between you and the Us also if your in Eastern canada you have a 3 hour difference from the west coast of US
so keep in mind that time diference makesa difference , i have a new call K7RJP i am on now but if you go on the calling channel i will look for you
73 and welcome to CQ100

Rich K7RJP
#5     Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:20 pm
SP3CW
Birmingham

Subject: Re: Where is all the ham activity

VE3WLE wrote:
Hi;
I've got everything set up properly. When I first turned it on I heard a couple of hams but that's it. Now I don't even hear anyone out there. Everything is turned on and hearing the noise level in the background but no hams. Am I missing out on something here? Thanks,
Willie

Hi, I am facing exactely the same problem... what's the solution than?
regards,
Artur SP3CW
#6     Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:22 pm
G3SPX
Wakefield, UK.

Subject: No activity.

What a shame that all the initial activity has gone. Most people who I knew used it for the "Free" period and then stopped. I have about stopped listening now as there are never many people on and I expect I will not renew next time. Pity cos its a great system.

Ken G3SPX
#7     Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:26 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Right now, the server shows there are 244 people listening and 4 people talking.
#8     Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:05 am
WB5UDI
Parker, CO USA

Subject:

I too, am nearing my 1 year date and realized that I have done the same thing. I operated intensely after joining--trying all the different modes--but then I slacked off.

Over the past 6 months, whenever I 'fired' up CQ100 there was just a handful of people talking. Only Doug can see the actual number listening, so I don't have any idea how many other hams are actually 'on' and listening.

As I have pondered why this may be happening, I am left with two thoughts.

1) After the newness wore off, many of us just lapsed into the same operating style we have on HF/VHF/UHF--and that is, we just listen and don't talk as much. Now obviously, I don't mean to generalize here as I know there are certain groups that have made an effort to meet consistently on their HF counterpart frequency. But I believe our general human nature is for us to go hog wild over something when it is brand new, and then it slowly wears off and we get bored....not all of us, but most of us.

2) The QSO is guaranteed. By that I mean there is no QRM or QRN or QSB to add that element of 'mystery' and chance to the contact. On HF, many times the other station has 'dropped into the weeds' after I unkey my mike to turn it over to them. I grew up with that 'uncertainty' and 'disappointment'--but here on CQ100, VOIP never disappoints. It is ALWAYS pure, perfect and awesome.

Anyway, I'm just rambling here--mainly because I so fell in love with CQ100, and have high hopes for it--I'm struggling to find a solution--not just discuss WHY the ratio of talkers to listeners is where it is presently.

Would a contest generate the kind of traffic as it does on the HF/VHF/UHF bands?

I thought the connection to some repeaters, that was going on the 29MHz band would be the magic spark that kept CQ100 'exciting'.....but I don't hear much activity there anymore (or maybe I am just missing it).

I still maintain that CQ100 will be a perfect place for some amateurs--those with antenna restrictions, or in their senior years where live equipment isn't possible or practical anymore, etc. They will gladly pay the small fee to have the enjoyment of talking only to other amateurs via VOIP.

However, I would like to hear from others as to how we might encourage or generate more live talking.

Sincerely,
Stan
WB5UDI
#9     Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:29 am
WB5UDI
Parker, CO USA

Subject:

Anyone have any comments on my post from a couple months ago???
#10     Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:05 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Stan,
Your comments were very inciteful and a I agree with all you say. I have been thinking, if the free trial was just one month, people might tend to buy it while its still new and exciting. The payment would act as incentive to keep using it. The goal is to have as many people using as possible. We might actually have more active users under a 1 month free trial than under the current 3 month. I am not sure though... something to think about.

73, Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.