Archive

Topic: SLOW UP ???? (4 replies)
#1     Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:13 pm
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: SLOW UP ????

DOUG, IN VIEW OF THE APPARANT SLOW UP IN MEMBERSHIP OF THIS FINE SYSTEM,AT WHAT POINT WOULD YOU ASSESS IT TO BE NON VIABLE?? I HOPE IT CONTINUES FOR MANY YEARS, I FIND IT SOMEWHAT EASIER TO USE THAN ECHO LINK. THIS SLOW UP COULD BE SIMPLY DUE TO THE TIME OF YEAR, HOLIDAY SEASON, OUTSIDE WORK , HONEYDUES, ETC..WHAT DO YOU THINK?? 73's Des.
#2     Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:39 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Des. Don't worry, QsoNet will continue for many years.

It is true the daily signups have slowly fallen off from a peak of 90 to 100 last December to the current rate of 25 to 35. But this still amounts to 10,000 new members a year. If the current ratio of 1 out of 3 members pay, the active membership will contiue to grow by 300 a month from the current level of 6000 active users. Approximately 30% of these users show up on any given day.

I am concerned about the habit of people to just listen instead of talk. I am as guilty as most *hi*. Its fun to just listen both here and on the real HF. Sometimes when I see only 8 spikes on the band, I check the server and it shows 300 people listening. We need a critical mass of talkers, not a critical mass of members.

At this minute, I see only 7 spikes on all the bands, but I see 386 stations are listening.

73, Doug
#3     Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:00 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Those that are "worried" for some reason or "concerned" due to lack of spikes could simply put out a CQ themselves... create your own spike. I am guilty of being more of a listener now as opposed to more of a talker last Fall.... but, whenever the urge strikes and I call CQ on an empty server, someone ALWAYS answers. Like Doug has stated, there are many, many stations listening. Put out a few CQs (it may take several calls) and one of those listening stations is going to give you a call.... plus several more will be stopping by listening.
#4     Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

Happy to learn that CQ100 is not going to close just because there are some fewer people being active , with no HF antenna it is a great way to communicate for me and enjoy my daily QSOs .

To make people aware that there actually are more people online than only seen at the spikes , What about an online list similar as by Echolink created ?
I know the programme is meant to be as close to real radio as possible where you as well never know who is around , just is a quick thought .

Uli
#5     Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:24 am
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: SLOW UP

WELL THANKS FOR THE RE ASSURANCE DOUG. I WAS GETTING A LITTLE CONCERNED BY THE TALK ON THE FORUM..I DO CALL CQ, I NEVER LOG ON TO CQ100 WITH THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF LISTENING ONLY,BUT EACH TO HIS OWN I GUESS.THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED..HAVE A NICE DAY..DES..

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.