Archive

Topic: Has the bubble burst ???? (7 replies)
#1     Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:13 am
G8VHG
Hull, East Yorkshire, England

Subject: Has the bubble burst ????

I switched on this morning 1000 BST and looked on each band there were only 2 spikes on 14mhz and they were Beacons, there were none on any other band !!!! I did try a couple of CQ's on 14mhz but no response !!
Where was every one ??????
#2     Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:05 am
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

This has been true for some time. By my observation, of the 12,000+ in the memberlist, there are approximately 4,000 who have downloaded CQ100 more than 90 days earlier, and are thus beyond the trial period, yet few of these are using the system as you have observed. That suggests, but does not prove, that few of these 4,000 have paid up, or whose interest in CQ100 has waned. Of interest, it is now taking 30 days for the addition of 1,000 new 'members'; earlier, it took only 7 days.
Jim
#3     Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:40 pm
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

definitly it has become quieter within the last 2 months but nethertheless you can get interesting contacts here .
Just takes a bit more to look ( and wait ) for .
Seems that many do not like to pay for ham software use .

Uli
#4     Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

You are correct that 4,000 are still on free trial. When we add 2,000 who have paid, it means we have 6,000 active members.

We have about 1,800 stations a day using the program, down from our peak of 2,000 stations 3 months ago. Useage peaks at 400 connected stations at 1800Z, then falls to 100 stations at 0600Z. This daily cycle can be seen at the bottom of the home page.

It seems people like to listen more than talk. When I see 400 stations connected to the server, there are only a dozen spikes on the bands. I guess we have 30 listeners for every talker *hi*

I am very happy that 1/3 of stations choose to pay after the trial period. I originally expected only 1/20 to pay.

I am concerned about the recent decrease in new signups. We were averaging 100 new sign-ups a day a few months ago. Latley it has been only 25 to 35 new signups each day. The recent advertisement in QST had zero effect on this down-trend. Perhaps we have reached market saturation where all hams interested in VOIP have already signed up. I thought market saturation would not be a factor until the 100,000 level.

Maybe US Technicians moving to the HF bands is a factor. Maybe seasonal factors and band conditions are a factor.

73, Doug
#5     Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:05 am
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject: Interest

I don't think the bubble has burst nor do I think it is going to. I think it is going to expand BUT I think something that would really create interest would be an awards program . This would stimulate daily interest and we would all be on a level playing field. Now I hate to say this BUT contest would also create a LOT of interest. We have the room and maybe limit them to just one band and limit the period as in the ARRL " sprints". Different folks are interested in different aspects of VOIP. Everyone is not interested in chatting with someone that they have chatted with for 50 years. Everyone is not interested in qsos that last for hours. The situation being as it is today, especially for young hams, it is a tremendous opportunity that is offered them here. We also need to give information about QsoNet in radio clubs. These are just my thoughts .- Larry WB5KYK
#6     Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:33 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

there is a special VoIP Award already offered by the CQICC Jay W7KBH . ( http://cqicc.spaces.live.com/ )

I mailed him last week after finding his link at Echolink and read his webpage. He did not know CQ100 so far but said that he want to have a look at it .

I do not like contests but I find everything that brings up more interest / more people is highly welcomed and others may like them .
Same with QSL : Some love to exchange QSL for internet contacts, others object that idea sharply .
It's up to everyones free will .

Uli
#7     Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:33 am
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject: CQ Macazine VOIP Award

Yes, there is a VOIP award offered by CQ magazine. There should be MORE than that one. The whole point of the posting was to stimulate more activity esepcially among YOUG hams and new hams . I have found over the years that new hams and younger hams are especially competative but like the resources ( $$ ) to setup world class contest stations. VOIP LEVELS the playing field. Larry, WB5KYK
#8     Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:21 pm
VK4JAZ
Brisbane

Subject:

I am a new 'member' in my trial period and I like what I see so far. Sure the bands can be quiet - but I am used to that. My main mode is 6m SSB which is dead at present, hence my interest in this new technology. But I have had a few really nice qso's on VOIP so far. My thoughts to make it more popular would be to include some form of automatic logging software so I could see my statistics as I progress. Now that would be cool.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.