Archive

Topic: Drop outs ???? (5 replies)
#1     Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:37 pm
G8VHG
Hull, East Yorkshire, England

Subject: Drop outs ????

There seems to be quite few 'drop outs', is anyone else having these ????
#2     Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Here is some advice about drop-outs and breakup. Maybe its my imagination, but it seems mostly British stations that are reporting this problem.
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=52

73 Doug
#3     Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:42 pm
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

Your imagination probably is right due to the simple fact that the ( ping) way from here ( europe ) is longer than from most of the other users in the U S .
I had drop outs as well , sometimes real servere , while there was no problems to voip servers based in germany . At other times there were no problems at all .
starting some pings to America quickly showed where the problem was , the longer the way , the more problems may show up - we will have to live with that also in times of broadband .

Uli
#4     Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:22 pm
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

May be this picture makes it clearer :

first ping within the same country = takes 15 ms
second ping into Canada takes 141 ms with 25 % packet losses
sent=4 , received=3 , lost= 1

[/img]

Uli
#5     Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:50 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Uli,

Very interesting.

I performed your same test:
To Qsonet.com (Canada to USA) = 119,113,73,116, none lost

To 195.149.74.176 (Canada to Europe) = 187, 186, 158, one lost.

Our VOIP engine has several seconds of buffer. It would take ping times more than 2000 ms to cause breakup. Maybe a high packet loss would cause more than 2 seconds delay. With TCP all lost packets are resent.

But I have used Qsonet with 33.6k dialup modem and no breakup occured. My ping times were 250 to 350 ms. Many Australian stations are using it without breakup. Many people are using dialup modems, even Australians.

I think anyone having breakup problems is because their internet has slowed to a crawl. We require only 2 KB per second (ie. 16 kbps). When people say it breaks up after 4 pm or after 6 pm, maybe their children are using the other computer, or their neighbors are filling the pipe. Nothing changes at our side at 1800Z, so something must have changed at their side.

Maybe their microwave oven or TV set is QRMing their wireless router.

Skype, LimeWire, BitTorrent, Adware and Spam Viruses will use up the entire pipe. They will use your internet for their own purposes behind your back. If I suspect something is using my internet, I close all programs then I watch the lights on the modem. A few small blinks in a minute are ok, but steady flow of traffic should not be hapenning.

If you are listening to Internet radio and talking on Skype while you are using Qsonet, of course you can expect some breakup :)

ISP's often clamp the upload speeds much slower than download speeds.

If Qsonet users will run Tracert instead of Ping, I bet they will find the big delay is not the hop across the ocean, but it is the first hop out of their house.

Don't always assume breakup problems are at your side. The problem might be at the other station, not yours.

I am not clear about the effect proxy servers have on this problem. I know proxy servers are common in Britain.

Running an internet Speed test is more important than ping times.
I tried this site.. http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Testing to Dallas (home of Qsonet server), I get 1092 kbps download and 313 kbps upload. The Qsonet system requires about 16 kbps. I did this test from home on my Cable modem. With ping times of 120 ms, I have enough capacity to run at least 20 Qsonet transceivers without breakup. I think the DSL at my office is a little faster than this. {edit: office DSL is 4083 kpbs download and 337 kbps upload}

I will suggest this Dallas test to anyone reporting breakup problems.

I have encountered a few cases where people are running Norton Antivirus on an older computer. The Antivirus is configured to inspect all internet packets. With the continous stream of VOIP packets, Norton cannot keep up because the CPU becomes overloaded. The breakup is not an internet problem. It is a CPU problem.

73 Doug
#6     Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

Hi Doug ,

thanks for the information , I thought the server are located in Canada .

I agree to all what you wrote , especially about some virus programmes , some are on the market slowing things so incredible that work is hardly able at all .
There are many reasons for causing problems . As trouble started exactly with the January 2nd at the start of the new year , reason are at my end must be somthing local ( though I am not on Wlan but lan ) probably at the net of my provider as i had never any problems in November+Dec .

I tried for the test you suggested and took Dallas for test , telling me

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3957 kbps (494.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 512 kbps (64 KB/sec transfer rate)

It is a bit lower than the one i use to go ( in Germany http://www.wieistmeineip.de/speedtest/ ) but still looks well to surf without any problems and today no loss on CQ100 at all .

Thanks for taking your time to reply ,

Uli

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.