Archive

Topic: Is CQ100 relaiable enough? (4 replies)
#1     Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:46 pm
JA1SCW
Atsugi, Japan

Subject: Is CQ100 relaiable enough?

I encoutered several tmes (might be almost every time?) that I was forced to disconnect while I was doing QSO in PSK. And most cases it is hard to recover immidiately from the disconnection due to that my ghost has been occupying the frequency when I come back to there by re-booting CQ100. Therefore I cannot to continue QSO until the ghost disappears. I do not think this was happened in voice mode. It seems to me that this is not an internet connection problem but a server problem at CQ100 end as this is not the case for voice mode. Please investigate for digi-mode freaks....Thanks
#2     Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:04 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

The ghost problem is both an internet disconnect problem and a server problem: If your internet becomes suddenly disconnected or your computer crashes while you are transmitting, the server is waiting for your key-off command. The server cleans house a few times per hour.

If your internet is realiable, you will never become a ghost :)

73, Doug
#3     Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:40 pm
JA1SCW
Atsugi, Japan

Subject:

>If your internet is realiable, you will never become a ghost :)

I do not think your reply explains the real shape of the phenomena.

a) I have a very few experiances (almost none) of disconnecting problem with other simmilar services of VoIP such as EchoLink, eQSO, Skype and MSN Messenger althogh those are at FOC (Free Of Cost).

b) Even with Skype which requires more bandwidth than CQ100, I do not remember if I encountered this disconnection problem.

c) It looks disconnecting happen at RX to TX transition of PSK mode in many cases and most probably, repeating TX/RX mode change quickly should bring the CQ100 system into this problem. This could happen easily due to a long system delay of the CQ100 which missleads/ confuses operators. Operators must take this long system delay into their accounts otherwise the system should fail into disconnecting.

d) In CW, PSK31 and SSTV, everybody experiences so many dropouts which may be a big problem depending on situation, although this should not a problem for Voice mode.

e) I am not using dial-up but ADSL which can handle that heaviest Skype.
I do not understand why the ghost exists for a quite long time even after recovering the disconneting. I can see my ghost though I am there. Why deos not the system recognize me? Well, for me the phenomena looks that this is not internet problem but CQ100 server system, bandwidth and system manager. What is your estimated maximum number of stations (frequencies) at acceptable packet losses?

f) It seems that codec applied to the CQ100 under internet environment does not match with CW, PSK31 and SSTV as we are noticed so many dropouts with those mode.
#4     Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:13 am
G4ILO
Cockermouth, UK

Subject:

Well, this is a VOIP system. It shouldn't be too surprising that it works best with voice.

I don't see the point of using PSK31 and other data modes on this system. If people want to have keyboard to keyboad chats, why not just implement a text chat mode in CQ100? That would do away with the unreliability of modulating the text into audio, then encoding and compressing it, and then decoding and decompressing it at the receiving end. It is not a very efficient use of resources, apart from anything else. If people want to exchange images, you could just send JPG or BMP files.
#5     Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:58 pm
G4CAO
New Haw

Subject:

[quote="JA1SCW"]>If your internet is realiable, you will never become a ghost :)

I do not think your reply explains the real shape of the phenomena.

a) I have a very few experiances (almost none) of disconnecting problem with other simmilar services of VoIP such as EchoLink, eQSO, Skype and MSN Messenger althogh those are at FOC (Free Of Cost).

b) Even with Skype which requires more bandwidth than CQ100, I do not

I think the point that JA1SCW is making is this system's MTBF reliablility. If you consider the presentation of this system at
http://qsonet.com/index.html it suggests CW is a viable mode.
If that is correct and now we have a decades old mode of amateur radio which is not possible to perform on a modern carrier, internet or whatever, it must be put into the MTBF. rgds, keep smiling, Geoff G4CAO

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.