Archive

Topic: FREE VOIP (20 replies)
#1     Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37 am
W5CMP
CARROLLTON TEXAS

Subject: FREE VOIP

FREE VOIP.WHY PAY FOR SOMETHING YOUR ALREADY PAYING FOR.
#2     Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:46 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

I know I VOIP is free. I am paying for the CQ100.
#3     Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:46 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Free VOIP

I agree with Steve. I have given considerable thought and some discussion among friends as to the value of CQ100 and it's subscription rate. One must consider the cost of development, maintaining a staff, a webpage and running servers.

Through CQ100 I have been able to make new friends, experiment with various modes, tinker with VOIP and make reliable, inteference free contacts with people and places currently impossible on HF.

Doug provides personal technical support through this site which is about unheard of these days. I will hang in here for another year and see how it evolves.

#4     Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:34 pm
KG4LMU
Flat rock,Michigan

Subject:

I totally agree. I thought echolink should have charged some sort of fee when it first came out. Although CQ100 has basicly the same capabilities I think that in time we will see more and more improvements and modififations to the software as we did with echolink. Therefore this small fee I believe is well worth the contacts and uses of the software. When you think about it how much are annual repeater club dues?
#5     Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 am
W5CMP
CARROLLTON TEXAS

Subject: voip again.

How can you charge some one for voip when your ip own's the bandwith.
In the us voip is part of you ip service.I guess out side the us you can do this.I understand paying for the program.But you are paying for voip two time's.So what's the point.See this is just how i see it.Your making some one else rich but i guess that's ok.Your are paying for a space on a server.Support is understandble.I hear guy's talking about it like they are on HF.But there not.I can not beleave that they think this.I guess they can't read just like when they buy a transceiver take it out of the box and turn it on and ask everyone else how to use it.O'well what can we do.
73 and have fun. :wink:
#6     Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:01 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: Re: voip again.

W5CMP wrote:
How can you charge some one for voip when your ip own's the bandwith.

73 and have fun. :wink:

That's exactly what I plan to do.

How much was did the last rig you purchased cost you? Plus, the cost of the coax, antenna, and then putting up the antenna.? You are really missing the point here. I realize this isn't a replacement for HF, and I would assume most do, but it is a nice addition to the hobby. It has also given many the opportunity to rejoin the community due to restrictions, etc. And once again, I am paying for the time, effort, and the uniqness of the CQ100. This concept is certainly a cut above Echolink.

Oh, and I wonder why you are waisting your time here when you could be operating HF?

Steve - W0SDG
#7     Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:56 pm
W5CMP
CARROLLTON TEXAS

Oh, and I wonder why you are waisting your time here when you could be operating HF?

Steve - W0SDG[/quote]

> Steve i spin 90% of my time as a admin for EQSO and the rest as a repair tech for motorola of texas.73 from w5cmp. :o
#8     Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:39 am
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

W5CMP wrote:
I hear guy's talking about it like they are on HF.But there not.I can not beleave that they think this.I guess they can't read just like when they buy a transceiver take it out of the box and turn it on and ask everyone else how to use it.O'well what can we do.

What is wrong with talking about this like you're on HF. Everyone knows that it is digital and VOIP. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. However we are Communicators and that's what we're doing here, communicating. Some of us have been hams for more than 40 years, hold Extra Class Licenses and even Commercial General Radio Telephone Licenses. Some of us even work thru RF links and IRLP nodes. Are we less Hams because we are willing to pay for an exceptional service that allows us to simulate HF operation, work CW and other Digital Modes? Look around, see how many older and long time hams on using this simulation. Perhaps someday you will find yourself in a situation where you have no HF equipment, or are not allowed to put up antennas etc. You may feel differently if that happens.

Clay, W1PI
#9     Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:03 pm
F8CIW
nr. Paris

Subject:

I'am totaly agree with Clay, I can't put up any antenna right now so this CQ100 is good compromise.

#10     Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:22 pm
KG4LMU
Flat rock,Michigan

Subject:

I agree with clay also. I am not allowed by my apartment community.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.