Archive

Topic: No More Ghost Stations (6 replies)
#1     Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 pm
VE3EFC

Subject: No More Ghost Stations

Some of you may be aware there has been an occasional problem with "Ghost Stations". This happens when a station becomes disconnected from the internet while transmitting. The server does not receive the key-up command, so it shows a ghost station as transmitting on that frequency and nobody can use the frequency until the ghost has been removed. The ghost can persist for 20 minutes or more.

We have now compiled a new version of the server that will detect and remove ghosts within 20 seconds. We are currently testing this new server on the 15 metre band. If the new server passes all tests, it will be installed onto all bands on Thursday Nov 30. You may notice a few seconds disconnect while the server software is changed.

Ghost stations are different than the inexperienced operator who leaves his mic keyed up or his vox on. The proposed "Windbag Timer" should solve this problem.

73 Doug
#2     Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:55 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Doug, I wonder if the Windbad Timer will affect longer digital transmissions as well? I have not idea how that feature work or the time length you have in mind if you add that. As my posting history indicates, I can be one of the best windbags on here..!!

My bottom line is that you have presented us with a fantastic way of communicating. I watch the new users grow and grow every day. Until it stops growing, there will be growing pains for all of us. As I have said before, I think this program is under priced, but I hope you become filthy rich anyway and the next radio we see on our screens is of the Collins variety!! Keep the good stuff coming..!! Just plain THANKS...

Steve - W0SDG
#3     Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:21 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Steve. I changed "bad operators" to "inexperienced operators". You are completely right. I made a "bad" choice of words *hi*

The proposed Windbag Timer will be settable in the configuration window. I will need to turn it off for the beason stations. If the timer turns your mic off after 5 minutes (settable), you just click PTT again and keep talking. Maybe a little BEEP will help.

73 Doug
#4     Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:07 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Edited my post too, hi hi..

5 minutes is probably reasonable but I know some slow typers on the digital modes will probably exceed that and having to wait to reset may present a problem in those modes. I know this issue needs to be addressed. What I propose is that you install blue, permanent ink in the face of the CQ100 and when a mic is left open, etc., it will spay out of the monitor into the faces of the operators in question!! Be allot more fun and a fast learning tool!

Steve
#5     Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:11 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

The new "ghost buster" server version is now running on all bands.
#6     Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:02 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

We have heard 3 reports in the past day where Windows 98/ME machines are being detected as ghost stations and disconnected by the server. We will look into the problem.
#7     Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:06 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

We put the server back to its original version at 10:15 am Eastern time (1515 Zulu Time). The ghosts are back but the 98/ME problem is gone.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.