Archive

Topic: CAN I TAKE A REAL QSL CARD? (12 replies)
#1     Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:18 pm
HK6PQI
Bogota, Colombia

Subject: CAN I TAKE A REAL QSL CARD?

Hi, my name is Eduardo, I'm from Colombia, I have one question. If I do a contact with any station, for example: the new one for me, I can take your Real QSL? It is validated?

If the answer is yes:
How can I take your RST report? if all the time the signal is 9+

And if the answer is not:
Where is the mystic of the DX, there is one thing more happinest that recive a QSL card by a hard DX contact? I don't know

Please, how do you think about that?

73, have a Good DX
#2     Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:22 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: Re: CAN I TAKE A REAL QSL CARD?

HK6PQI wrote:
And if the answer is not:
Where is the mystic of the DX, there is one thing more happinest that recive a QSL card by a hard DX contact? I don't know

The answer is no. That is the simple reason that this is not "real radio". There is no "mystic" with this program. No QSB, QRM, no challenge what so ever. This is simply an internet chat program for licensed Ham Operators, especially for those who do not have other means to get on the air. There are no FCC rules here and ARRL affiliation. This does not mean that you can't exchange QSL cards though, you just cannot use them for DX or contest qualifiers.

CQ100 is just meant to be fun, a protected program for Ham Operators with no interference from non hams or inconsiderate hams. You will still have to find your "mystic" on real HF as it way meant to be.

Steve - W0SDG
#3     Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:45 pm
KC6UVA
West Monroe LA USA

Subject:

Steve's comment is accurate. What I have found to be an effective way of confirming the "QSO" is to send a QSL email message and I've found most of my contacts have listed their email address on QRZ.com. I've already collected quite a number of QSL email replies - definitely not the same as a card in-hand, but still fun.
#4     Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:27 pm
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

In reference to acknowledgeing contacts, I have been using Eqsl. Found at Eqsl.com, for qsling a virtual contact with a virtual qsl card. Most I have talked to are in agreement that this will work and some are in fact acquiring WAC and WAS. I'm sure there will be some who will be in total disagreement. My resonse is 'Tango Sierra'. If you don't like it, don't do it. But do give others the right to participate in virtual radio without harrasement.

And remember this is an adjunct to Amateur Radio, not the real thing. To be sure, it allows many who would otherwise be deprived of participating in the hobby to be active and resume activity with old friends and meet new ones. How terrible to be retired and living in a retirement community or apartment complex that did not allow antennas. Now these deprived individuals have an opportunity to join and and continue their hobby for as long as they like.

Have to go.... must check my Eqsl inbox....

Bill

de W0NBP
#5     Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:00 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Bill,

First off, where is there any harrassment here? Secondly, you are just plain wrong on the issue of WAS, etc., allowed by virtual radio. Don't listen to your friends, check with the ARRL and Ham Radio, etc., and get the facts. As far as qsling for CQ100 contacts, there is no reason they can't qsl each other, just that it will not count for HF awards. I have stated facts here and you have stated your opinion based on opinions. So why the "Tango Sierra"? It seems out of character coming from you? I guess it is not impossible to set an award system based on virtual radio, just that it is not in the same league as HF.

Steve - W0SDG
#6     Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:12 pm
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

Whoa!
Before this thing gets too loud...

I meant WAC and WAS for virtual modes only, not the ones ARRL grants certififcates for. And the harrasememt was not exactly harrasement, I am referring to some of the negative comments I have heard on here, not the forum, but on the air. (ie "its not really ham radio")etc.

Didn't mean to get everyone riled up. SRI

So far as I know ARRL does not recognize Eqsl for completion of WAC or WAS. So it still remains a good way to recognize virtual contacts.

Slinkin' off....

Bill
#7     Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:47 pm
KC6UVA
West Monroe LA USA

Subject:

No offense taken. We're definitely treading new ground here - probably much like when digital modes came on-board. It's going to be exciting where we end up a year from now. But, like everything new, there will always be some challenges - and objections - to overcome.
#8     Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:33 am
NP3OD
Puerto Rico

Subject:

I am not against some form of QSLing from contacts made by this mode. But we have to find a way that will not be confused with our RF or other modes (like echolink/irlp) contacts.

So far I do not see much problem with a traditional paper QSL as long as it is clearly marked contact was made using CQ100. Of course, in digital age and with this virtual communication tool why use paper when we have the internet. :wink:

About using eQSL, i would not recommend to use eQSL with contacts of this mode, until they add some special category for QSO made in this CQ100. This is so the normal RF contacts do not get mixed with contacts with this mode. I hope that they soon add that special category (they are waiting to see if ADIF 2.0 recognize CQ100 as special contacts like echolink/irlp; since they r ADIF 2.0 compliant). I love eQSL and would be the perfect match for this mode.

So far, for the short term, I think the best option is to QSL by using stardard e-mail. Of course, some may differ from my thinking.

Lets see what tool times bring us to QSL a contact.

Francisco
NP3OD
#9     Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:46 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: QSLs?

A QSL typically confirms a contact made via amateur radio on amateur radio frequencies. We don't cringe however when we receive a QSL from a shortwave listener and we often reply.

I think the key is that while not the norm, it would be acceptable to exchange QSL cards as long as it is made clear that it was not done via amateur radio or was a 2 way contact on the air.

Send me one for a CQ100 contact and I will return one to you clearly marked CQ100. If you send it in to ARRL for credit it will be simply tossed in the trash can :-)
#10     Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:32 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

If the CQ100 contact is made via wireless router or satellite ISP, it is a RF contact so should qualify as a real radio contact. :wink: :wink:

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.