Archive

Topic: CQ100 Versus HF Radio (4 replies)
#1     Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 pm
G0SDD
Forest of Dean

Subject: CQ100 Versus HF Radio

I would just like to say how much I am enjoying using the CQ100 mode and I would like to commend those who have produced it. I will also state some of the reasons that I think it is and will become increasingly popular.

Firstly, I have made contact with many old friends who have been out of Amateur Radio for many years with health problems. There are those with physical problems
and varied disabilities, some being white stick operators who have been exluded from using Amateur Radio equipment, because of the difficulty with antennas etc, and therefore talking to fellow Amateurs.

Also, I have spoken to Fellow Amateurs who, because they are unable to operate from their particular residences for many varied reasons, are not able to join in their lifelong hobby. Other reasons are that due to the lack of propagation at the moment, many HF Radios are almost dormant and my CW has been getting rusty. I and many others are using CW on CQ100 at the moment.

Amateur Radio membership has declined over recent years and this mode helps to retain them at least. No, it is not Amateur Radio as we know it, but anything that gets us back together communicating must be a good thing.

HF will return more fully as the new solar cycle begins, but with so much interference (qrn) from modern electrical equipment etc, even filters make little difference and what used to be a challenge is now just frustration.

I don't think that this form of Internet Radio will replace HF Radio but it will complement it and maybe displace it when it's in the doldrums. It is a good alternative, with no qrn or qrm and all stations are uniquely identified, keeping the same rules and discipline the hobby has enjoyed over the years. I have had qso's with stations that I would never have a chance of chatting too on HF and with NO PILE-UP'S!!

73 de Chris James
#2     Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:45 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Well said Chris :D

rich ae0v Nebraska USA
#3     Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:06 pm
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: advantage/disadvantage

One great (to me) advantage with "Q" is that the contester-bullies are not monopolizing it -yet. Makes it valuable (to me) on week-ends.

One slight disadvantage (to me) is: you have to be spot-on on a frequency to pick up transmissions, while on HF you can pick up transmissions on the margins of a frequency, and use RIT. Makes searching for a cq more difficult.

N3VY Don
Ocala, FL

#4     Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:30 pm
G0SDD
Forest of Dean

Subject:

Hello Don,
I agree with your comments. Contests, number crunching and pile-ups I avoid, but it's purely personal and I don't decry those who enjoy it. With regard to spot frequencies, have you tried clicking the mouse on the spikes, it lines it up exactly.

73 de Chris.
#5     Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:45 pm
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject:

G0SDD wrote:
Hello Don,
I agree with your comments. Contests, number crunching and pile-ups I avoid, but it's purely personal and I don't decry those who enjoy it. With regard to spot frequencies, have you tried clicking the mouse on the spikes, it lines it up exactly.

73 de Chris.

THANKS, for tip on spikes, Chris.

In regard to contests, etc., to each his own,. But I don't like Road Hogs OR Frequency Hogs. Just Old and Crotchety, I guess.

vy 73 de Don n3vy

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.