Archive

Topic: PSK31 (8 replies)
#1     Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:07 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: PSK31

A while ago I called CQ a number of times on PSK31 on 14.020. I have recently solved my level problems with the help of W7RJR and also discovering that my USB Mic was causing problems. I did hear an attempt to come back to me but ran out of time to continue. I intend to try again tonite between 9:30 and 10pm CST on or near the same frequency. A couple of suggestions here. I am setting my Hamscope send and receive tones at 1000 Hz. I think they will self adjust to whatever tone someone is sending on when I tune them in or visa versa. I am running at about s9 output in hopes of reducing distortion, etc but yet have to find that out. I am sure we could run it lower which PSK is known for. Question. Should a suggested frequency range be set up as a normal place to opertate PSK? I know Bob was using 14.120 at first but I think Doug suggested we operate in the CW portion of the band. I am using Hamscope at the moment and it seems like a decent program consideing it is freeware. Easy to download and setup.

Hope to find someone this evening.

Steve - W0SDG
#2     Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:47 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Yesterday I had my first, and several thereafter, successful PSK31 contacts. We were hanging out at 14.070 which is the Digital area on HF for 20 meters. When things are setup correctly, it works very well and I am anxious to try other digital modes now. My question is, do we follow the HF bandplan for Digital without conflict with CW stations, etc? If we just had a predesignated area to consider the digital spectrum would that be reasonable? Just some stuff to chew on for those interested. Maybe another band. I am sure something can be standardized here.

Steve - W0SDG
#3     Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:46 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: PSK

Steve

I think operating PSK31 on 14.070 is a great idea but have noticed 2 possible problems. First, those who hear the PSK but have problems getting it to work will be unable to use voice to coordinate a solution without QSYing to the voice portion of the band. Second, due to all the CW practice in this area people may tend to ignore blips they see in this region.

I agree that standardized, coordinated frequencies on CQ100 should be the same as noted on HF. For instance, 14.230 for SSTV (even though it doesn't work well), 14.0800 for RTTY, etc.
#4     Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:37 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

It seems that a number of us has verified that many digital modes will work with CQ100. I look forward to hearing more stations using what is available to us in the digital world to include CW. There are enough free programs out there to use some with multi mode capabilities. So, if you are experienced or curious, look for some of the strange and not so strange digital signals around the bands, mostly in the CW spectrums I would assume. I will be using 14.070 when the CW Beacon is not present and frequencies around then when it is. If there is enough interest, then maybe we can set up some areas to use so there would give us some consistency. For starters, I will use mostly the PSK31 mode. I hope to see this interest grow.

Steve - W0SDG
#5     Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:51 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I will move the CW practice beacons to 14.040 - 14.050 area.

73 Doug
#6     Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:18 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Thanks Doug. Here is another thought. Since you are able to lable the different segments of the band, CW/VOICE, would it be a reasonable request to suggest you label 14.070 to 14.080 DIGITAL? On HF we have all the way up to 14.090 as the suggested spectrum. Since there are so few, at this moment, involved in Digital, a smaller spectrum should work out. If this takes off, maybe we could do the same for the other bands. It certainly isn't necessary, but it might be useful. Just a thought.

Steve
#7     Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:41 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

New Faces!! 14.070 was alive with PSK31 signals today. It is good to see the activity. For new users to PSK, the idea behind this mode is to exactly match the tone or frequency of the station you are working. Different software programs use different terms or methods of accomplishing this so learn how to "Lock" your tones so there is no difference between TX and RX, otherwise you will be constantly moving around. This has been the most consistent problem so far. Once you are setup correctly, it is a breeze to operate PSK.

New users, don't download software that is complicated to use. Now that I understand the setup routine for HAMSCOPE that may be the right one to start off with as it also has additional digital mode features to include CW. It is freeware. One of the best digital programs available is MixW, the latest version beign 2.17. It is free for 15 days, and then requires a $50 onetime payment. I think this is the only software that requires a fee, but it is very popular with the seasoned PSK/Digital operators. Once you get your feet wet, it would be worth the 15 day full version trial period to check it out. There are a bunch more, just find one that suits you.

While it may be confusing at first to setup your soundcard settings to work both ways, PSK software and CQ100, once you have it figured out it's plug and play!! Bob, W7RJR, has posted in several areas here in the forums how to setup PSK with the CQ100. Just do a search of his call right here in the forum and his postings will be unvailed. His advice is rock solid so take your time, play around, after all, it's all about "learning", and then join us in the 14.070 area. Maybe a voice net would be helpful as well.

We are looking forward to new "Warbles" on the band.

Steve - W0SDG
#8     Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:18 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Steve. I was listening in to you in a qso on 14070 a few hours ago. My DigiPan software was getting perfect copy on both stations. You were both using BPSK31. I need to figure out how to transmit now.

73 Doug
#9     Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:35 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: 14.070 digital modes

I was copying several stations quite well on PSK this evening. Due to the narrow bandwidth of PSK31 it is possible on HF for many stations to operate on essentially the same frequency. This is not possible on CQ100.

A pause between transmissions will help allow others to join your QSO, should you be open to that. Signing KN means only the addressed station go ahead...no breakers.

As more stations want to use the digital modes it will become a problem limiting our activity to one frequency. Perhaps we should consider making 14.070 a digital calling frequency and then move up or down? Please also consider listening up or down a little if 14.070 is busy. Perhaps we can agree on a standardized audio frequency of 1500 hertz. This will help eliminate moving around on the waterfall.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.