Archive

Topic: USB mic or double plug mic ????? (3 replies)
#1     Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:50 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: USB mic or double plug mic ?????

This statement by Doug ... "I found my USB mic (boom on headset) is louder and clearer than the old mic plugged into the sound card".... in another thread leads me ask this questions. I think it might be of interest to all as most all audio on here is very, very good and there are some that are just fantastic. I know the greatest percentage of us are using the $9.95 or $19.95 "el cheapo". But, I would like to hear about all the possibilities.

My two mics that I own are Plantronics headsets. I really wanted to get a USB headset just for the EASE of not having to plug in 2 plugs. Plus, the input for phones and mic are right on the front of my laptop, so they are a bit in the way whereas the USB ports are on the side and the back.
The USB headsets were anywhere from $25 to $50+ ... but I'm wondering from Doug's statement if the USB mic is somewhat better??

When I bought this my plantronics for my laptop, I was hoping to get the USB until I saw the prices.

I really don't care to start a debate... I just want to know the following.

What brand headset are you using?

Is it the double plug (phones and mic) or is it USB?

Where did you find your mic? Local retailer or internet??

Have you also compared USB to regular plugs as Doug has done? If so, what were the results?

Add any other information you feel is helpful.

thanks... rich ae0v
#2     Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:33 pm
KK6AW
Auberry, CA

Subject:

My two cents, I do not like headsets or even handheld mic's, having said that I use a Heil boom mike to run an hf net several times per week.

I use a Logitech webcam with built in mic, I have used it on Skype, Echolink and several other VOIP programs with good success, now On CQ100. I must say it cost a bit more that $9.95

73 Kelsey KK6AW
#3     Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Thanks for your input Kelsey. We talked Tuesday night on one of the bands and I remember you telling me that you were using the camera with the built in mic.

thanks... rich
#4     Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:15 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

The Windows sound recorder can be used to test microhones.

I think many mics get damaged when they are accidently plugged into the audio output. They don't make a good speaker *hi*

I have a very cheap hand-held (clip on) mic that has great quality. This mic is a little larger than a postage stamp. I think the quality is great because it is self-amplified. It plugs into the sound card. This mic is available at radio shack and other stores.

The web cam mics are also self-amplified and they sound terrific on QsoNet. The problem with self-amplified mics is they pick up noise from all around the house. We can hear your TV in the other room and the motorcycles on your street outside.

I had one web cam with a built in mic that refused to allow me use any other mic on the system. Since then I have avoided web cams with built in mic.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.