Archive

Topic: laptop w/aircard or what have you (4 replies)
#1     Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:42 am
KB3LZZ
HARRINGTON DE

Subject: laptop w/aircard or what have you

Hi all I ws thinking if one had a card that could pick up internet where ever they happen to be. and had power from there car battery lighter adapter etc. and of course providing the server is up they could talk anytime anywhere.is this right thinking Mike KB3LZZ
#2     Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:05 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Mike. WHat you say is true. But your local ISP would have to be up too.
#3     Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:06 pm
N2QOJ
Queen Creek AZ

Subject: Aircard usage

With an aircard - I use Sprint - you are on the Internet once connected and will have no limitations.

With an aircard service, there are no port issues, so Echolink works just fine. I normally travel with my laptop and aircard and have no problem working Echolink from the car.

QsoNet usage will not be any problem with an aircard. Even Skype is fine.

For Wi-Fi, yes, you must have access to an Internet connection. If you can locate a Wi-Fi hotspot and get an IP address assigned by the hotspot router/controller, then using QsoNet will be no problem but Echolink would require port changing access unless you use the Proxy mode.

The beauty of QsoNet is that it will always work when you have a valid and reliable Internet connection - anywhere.
#4     Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:17 pm
KB3LZZ
HARRINGTON DE

Subject:

I guess my post was referring to is emergency communications ....but without power where out of luck. that is my point if your service is up on your card which it would probable be .and you have power to your laptop via lighter adapter you would be good to go.if there was an emergency in your area then hopefully your good.and i guess providing qsonet's provider is up which in a different area probable would be also.so there you have it communications in a pinch.MAYBE? lol 73 mike KB3LZZ
#5     Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 am
N2QOJ
Queen Creek AZ

Subject: emergency communications

Mike,

Having been an OEM Communications Team Leader for 7 years and a Deputy Coordinator of OEM for 4 of those years, I can tell you from my experience that the only thing you can rely on with confidence is a base or mobile radio with self-sustaining power - generator or charged marine battery or similar. Of course, fully charged HTs within range of emergency repeaters will do also.

But that is good only if you have taken the time to scope out - in advance - which repeaters in your area have emergency power capability for when the unexpected happens. That is the basics of an emergency communications plan. There's lots more to consider.

I had our City's Mobile OEM Emergency Communications equipped with the standard municipal and mutual aid radios but I also programmed our City radios to support reverse repeater operation in the event we needed to position to high ground and take over the City's public safety communications. We could be self-sufficient with our 10 Kwatt generator, shore power, or re-provisioned with fuel indefinitely.

Regards,

Joe, N2QOJ

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.