Archive

Topic: Your CW setup ?? (17 replies)
#1     Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:24 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: Your CW setup ??

I know there are many stations with an interest in working CW. Although I have done more with the "voice" end of the bands here, my greatest interest is in working CW.

I am presently using the keyboard but would like to use my bencher paddles or a straight key. I tried sending the sidetone from my hf rig into the sound card and although it was copyable, the tone was very rough for the receiving station to listen to.

Hopefully in the future it may be possible to plug the paddles directly into the audio input.

Some of you may have found the secret to inputing a signal into the mic input of your computer and being able to transmit a "good tone". If you have done this, please tell us how you are acheiving this success.

thanks... rich ae0v
#2     Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:32 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

no takers on this :)
#3     Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:09 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich. We are currently working on a program to send nice code directly from the paddles plugged into the USB port. The problem is a slight lag makes it difficult at high speeds. Its hard to control an S or H at 30 wpm. We have some ideas we are working on to solve the lag.

The new build 178 for the CQ100 transceiver has a few improvements for the built-in typing keyer.
1) no more breakup at the start of transmission.
2) longer word spaces
3) longer dwell before it goes back to receive mode.

I find these 3 little improvements make the typing CW more comfortable for both sending and receiving. Anyone interested in typing CW should download this latest build from their Account Page. This build 178 was just uploaded a few minutes ago.

73 Doug
#4     Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:33 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

DOUG !!!!!!! this is GREAT..... thank you so much for taking the interest on the CW side of things. Keep up the great work. I'll down load and give it a go. I think I read somewhere that downloading a new version overrides the old one... is that right.

rich ae0v
#5     Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:53 pm
HL5KY
Pusan, Korea

Subject:

Sending code with paddle sounds great idea. I hope you consider RS-232 input too. When you think about RS-232, you can also consider to use it for PTT of radio link, not only TX-PTT but also RX-PTT which will satisfy many different purposes.

Thanks.
#6     Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:21 am
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject:

I plugged in a MFJ -557 practice oscilator, and sound comes through fine on external speaker, but does not come through on "Q". Can't find "TRANSCEIVER OPTIONS" or "OPEN MIXTURE" under "AUDIO INPUT". CW is my only mode. Yes, I can use the keyboard, but I prefer a straight key. Any solutions?? N3VY DON
#7     Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:41 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

N3VY wrote:
I plugged in a MFJ -557 practice oscilator, and sound comes through fine on external speaker, but does not come through on "Q". Can't find "TRANSCEIVER OPTIONS" or "OPEN MIXTURE" under "AUDIO INPUT". CW is my only mode. Yes, I can use the keyboard, but I prefer a straight key. Any solutions?? N3VY DON

Working from memory here, but if you can hear the tones on you PC speaker, you can transmit them:

- Open the vloume properties by double clicking on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom right of your screen (by the clock)

- Select Options/Properties/Recording in the volume properties window

- Make sure that all the boxes are ticked - click OK

- Tick the Stereo Mix box and don't close the properties box

- Fire up CQ100, and select VOX (not Keyer)

- Start sending code and you should see the meter needle moving, if so you are "on the air"

- Play around with the volume slider on the Stereo mix properties and the mic gain on the CQ100 to get the needle reading as you want it

- If you don't use VOX, you will have to select TX at the start of each over, and deselect at the end.

- Dont forget to make sure that you have your soundcard selected as the input on the CQ100 (click on the ? at the top left) and not your mic.

Let me know how you get on.
#8     Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:09 am
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: CW OPERATION

Thanks. My MFJ practiice oscillator is working accourding to the S meter.
New problem: ON THE AIR is alternately On and Off even when I don't press the Key. How do I overcome this? Thanks for your help.
73 N3VY Don
#9     Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:43 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

Let me know it works. my MFJ keyer has no audio out. The only outputs it has is "grid" and "direct" depending on if you have a tube or solid state hf rig. Maybe I am missing something, as I will admit I am not technical minded. I think you would have to alter the keyer to create an audio out signal.

I have plugged my keyer into the "mic in" via the direct out on the back, and there is a signal but there is no audio going down that line. It is only a signal to to "drive" (for the lack of a better term) the sidetone in your HF rig.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

I'll wait until Doug comes up with a "direct" plug into the line in.
#10     Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:50 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject: Re: CW OPERATION

N3VY wrote:
Thanks. My MFJ practiice oscillator is working accourding to the S meter.
New problem: ON THE AIR is alternately On and Off even when I don't press the Key. How do I overcome this? Thanks for your help.
73 N3VY Don

Hmmmm.... that's interesting!

It sounds like some sort of feedback problem. If any noise at all is being produced by the soundcard, this could be enough to break the VOX.

- Try selecting deselecting the "Squelch On" button to get rid of the background hiss when monitoring an empty frequency - as you will be between your transmissions

- Have a play with the VOX level and dwell dials. I haven't touched these but it might be worth a go.

- If you leave the mode on PTT and manually select TX before you start sending code then this shouldn't be a problem - not as elegant as VOX as you will have to deselect TX at the end of the over.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.