Archive

Topic: CQ100 is dying? (6 replies)
#1     Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:39 pm
2E0KAH

Subject: CQ100 is dying?

There have been a number of times recently when I have noticed zero QSO's on any band.

Is this a symptom of CQ100 being in its final death throws I wonder?

One could be forgiven for thinking so methinks....
#2     Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 am
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject:

I have to agree that there seems to be less activity - judged by the number of spikes seen. It is too bad, as CQ100 really does provide a ham radio activity for thousands that would otherwise be shut out completely.

I wrote an article for CQ Magazine (appeared in November's issue) that was aimed at garnering new interest and increasing CQ100 activity levels. I believe it did help, as I have run into a number of new users claiming they had never heard of CQ100 until they read the article.

Personally, I feel CQ100 should be actively supported by the ARRL. Doing so would aid their membership problem by preventing members from dropping out when they can no longer be on RF. However, it won't happen - the League is to far behind the times to see the light.

I know the League's attitude first hand from experience with them on the subject. The trees of yesterday are preventing them from seeing the forest of tomorrow.

Bill W2BLC
#3     Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: ACTIVITY

GENTLEMEN;
You are absolutely right, after the nets in the am silence.
Our neighbor Hamsphere is growing by leaps and bounds and very active 24/7.
There needs to be some upgrades here, digital modes, and perhaps contesting with awards like our neighbor and the downloading of the program on your Android or Iphone also.
Advertising also in the trade magazines.
Just our thoughts
POB/K8LEN :shock:
#4     Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm
2E0KAH

Subject:

I can't speak about the ARRL being over here in England. I can draw comparisons with the British society though, the RSGB. They also seem to be stuck in the past, and though making a small effort to cater for the evolution of the hobby it seems very half-hearted.

With regard to Android and iPhone apps: I am sure these would be greatly appreciated. Doug has made his views clear on this though - No way, not ever, what you see is what you get, end of story.

I really don't think he's very interested in CQ100 anymore as it hasn't had any development in years. I only hope that it doesn't die shortly after I renew my subscription! That would be typical and what we call Murphy's Law.
#5     Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 pm
K7ZM
La Pine, Oregon

Subject:

Speaking as a former Vice Director of the ARRL's Northwestern Division, I agree that the ARRL would NEVER endorse using CQ100. They live in the past and very seldom vote for change. If you are on one of their committees and disagree with others, being you were appointed to that committee, you'll find the next term that you have been replaced! Committee appointments are made twice a year, therefore, anyone who shows an interest in "change" is replaced! I brought up the idea to have "Montana" a part of the "Rockey Mountain Division". It's presently a part of the Northwest Division. The League wouldn't even discuss it. It's really sad, as the "average" ham operator is going on 70 years of age and many unable to operate HF, especially those in retirement homes or communities. CQ100 is a wonderful way to communicate, but, $39.00 is way too much for the average ham to afford to pay annually. Lower it to $10.00 and I believe hundreds more would start operating regularly. Obviously, the owner of the system doesn't feel the same way, as even HE doesn't reply to suggestions. Humm...he must be a League member. Comments welcome on 21.260...mornings ....best 73. Bill, K7ZM
#6     Mon May 20, 2013 4:19 pm
K2HJC
Villas, NJ

Subject:

Ive been a member and user of CQ100 for a few years and My annual renewal is July 1 2013 and I am sorry to say I will not pay up another $ 39 I will put it towards saving for on air gear.

Just too dead Not all the nets that are posted in various lists are active some not all.

Will stick with Echolink free and I always find a qso

73 to all Hope CQ100 does make a come back then maybe I will

Mike K2HJC
#7     Mon May 20, 2013 4:37 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject:

It is sad that the ARRL cannot see the $$$ knocking at their door.

When time comes to go to senior living or a condo - no more antennas and no more ham radio. Hence, no more need for ARRL membership or QST.

Yet, if the ARRL encouraged CQ100 as a solid alternative to on the air radio - these same hams would keep their memberships and subscriptions.

I use CQ100 every day and I use RF radio every day also. I enjoy CQ100, however, it is slowing down. It needs encouragement from the ARRL.

It is your future that is being determined here. If you don't keep active with CQ100 - it will one day cease to exist. Who looses? We all do.

If the ARRL started to encourage the use of CQ100, I am sure everyone would benefit. However, CQ100 was not invented by the ARRL - so there will be no support from them. They get nothing from it and for some reason cannot see the lost revenue aspect.

If you are unhappy about the lack of ARRL support - contact the League and complain. Here is a quick email address: hq@arrl.org

As a side note: I can use CQ100 from the hospital or a motel room - just have a laptop with me. You cannot do that with RF (for various reasons).

Bill W2BLC

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.