Archive

Topic: Upgrade notifications and CQ100 news (6 replies)
#1     Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:30 am
N2BEW
Valatie, NY

Subject: Upgrade notifications and CQ100 news

I am finding that a lot of users of CQ100 are not at all aware that an upgrade has occurred in the software, and they are complaining on the air about the QRZ not working along with the names of people not showing up correctly on their CQ100 software.

I have been letting people know of the upgrade as much as I can when I come across people that do not know, but I'm wondering if an email notification list could be used to notify all users that the upgrade has occurred.? Not an email reflector per say but just a regular email sent out to all users once in a while with news about the CQ100 maybe once a month?, and as a notification service of upgrades to the software etc...

I don't think a lot of people use this form, or check the website for updates.
There are rumors swirling on the air that there are "big changes" coming to CQ100 and a regular official newsletter to all users would be welcome not only to notify users of changes but also to dispel rumors etc...

I would think it would be fairly easy to send out since all users use an email address to register.

Tom
N2BEW
#2     Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 am
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: UPGRADE

What is the upgrade
POB/K8LEN :shock:
#3     Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 am
N2BEW
Valatie, NY

Subject: Upgrade announcement

Upgrade announcement;

http://qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=1415

This was in November and I am finding like you a lot of people still don't even know about it, that is why I posted this.

Incidentally to download the new upgrade go to your account page and the link is there.

Tom
N2BEW
#4     Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:04 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I will add the QRZ problem to the FAQ page. If anyone has ANY problem, the first place to look is the FAQ page. The second place is to search this discussion forum.

We send out a few automatic emails every day to people who register or pay or request password reminders. Hotmail black-listed our email because they detected these few automatic emails.

If we decided to send out 30,000 newsletter emails to our members, only one third would actually receive them. The next day, our address would be black-listed across the internet and nobody would be able to receive any emails from us again. We are being very careful to minimize the number of emails we send. The only time we use email is to respond to your actions.

Maybe a blog page could be used for news, but if people don't visit their account page and dont visit the FAQ page and don't visit this discussion forum, it is unlikely they would visit a blog page.

73, Doug
#5     Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:12 pm
N2BEW
Valatie, NY

Subject:

Thanks Doug,
Makes sense about sending out lots of emails and many bouncing back. It is easy for someone like me to make a suggestion and quite another for someone else to have to deal with the ramifications of it! HI HI
I will continue to spread the word about the upgrade. Word of mouth is effective on many levels especially with CQ100 I was just surprised at this late date to still run across people that didn't not know about the upgrade and why their CQ100 was not working with QRZ.

Love the program, and am promoting it as much to people, thanks for making it available.
Tom
N2BEW
#6     Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:53 pm
KF4O
Taipei, Taiwan

Subject:

Often a program will check for updates and then let the user know...would that be possible to do that at login?
thanks again Doug for all your hard work and responsiveness!
Randy, KF4O
Taiwan
#7     Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Randy. Thanks for this excellent suggestion.

We had some concern that too many people all downloading a version upgrade at the same time might overload our servers. But I think we could handle a few dozen people downloading at once.

73, Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.