Archive

Topic: Updated CQ-100 (3 replies)
#1     Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm
W5OAS
Dallas, Texas USA

Subject: Updated CQ-100

I heard by the "grapevine" that some new functions or capabilities are possible in the near term for CQ-100. Perhaps some new capabilities or modes might re-invigorate some of we (I'm included) old radio crumudgeons to getting on CQ-100 more frequently. In spite of the fact that CQ100 and QSO-TV work flawlelssly and you could not possibly ask for any audio signal that is any better than it already is . . . . the number of hams on CQ-100 continues to diminish at any one time. so Doug, if you have any comments on "things in the works", I for one would like to hear about them. And by the way, I am gratelful forever for your CQ100 operation as I have really enjoyed the qso's world wide with such interesting people over the past several years. The elimination of qrm, qrn, aggrevating man made interference, rude hams, incessent gibberish by wanna be hams not licensed for the ham bands, cat calling and deplorable language is the greatest attribute to your program. Looking forward to any answer. Terry, W5OAS
#2     Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: Numbers going down?

I have no clue why the apparent number of daily users is going down. I use it daily and continue to enjoy ham radio with folks that would no longer be on the "air" if there was no CQ100. Some of my QSOs are with hams I talk with on RF also.

Perhaps not enough hams know about it. I have run into a lot of those the past few years since I got on. Need to get the word out????

It works like real radio - often much better - and gives ham radio back to the condo residents, victims of covenants, the shut-ins, and so many more that, for whatever reason, are no longer able to get "on the air."

To me, CQ100 is gold.

Bill W2BLC
#3     Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:17 pm
KF4O
Taipei, Taiwan

Subject:

I agree 100% . I am in Taiwan and have a license but as a foreigner have to use someone else's radio (go figure). I tried hamsphere for a while, but almost no CW activity there at all! I am impressed with the amount of CW I hear on CQ100 and looking forward to getting involved more.
thanks again Doug!
Randy, KF4O
Taiwan
#4     Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

A year ago, we had approximately 1000 stations a day using CQ100. Now days, we are seeing about 850 per day, so there has been some decrease. Perhaps the improved sun-spots are competing with the virtual ionosphere.

Right now, my servers show 94 people listening and 4 people talking. So things are not as dead as they may seem.

We tried running a few ads in QST magazine. These ads cost $800 each but they seemed to have no effect on the amount of registrations. We continue to run banner ads at qrz.com.

I have been doing some work on a new product - a simplified remote control program - something like HRD with built in VOIP and good CW capability.

Also I may release my text-to-morse practice program as freeware. I use this program every day to transmit the CW practice on CQ100.

Happy New Year everyone.
Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.