Archive

Topic: Where is everybody? (3 replies)
#1     Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm
2E0KAH

Subject: Where is everybody?

Summer has gone.

Vacation season is over.

Yet the number of people using CQ100 seems to be declining rather than recovering. Yes there are a small core of regular users and a smattering of networks, and new users on their trial period pop up now and again, but after a few weeks one hardly sees any of them anymore.

CQ100 Is a wonderful product.

Where have you all gone!?

(One for the QSN Net marketing department perhaps Doug?)
#2     Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:54 pm
KK4DS
Johnson City TN

Subject: Where has every one gone

I've been wondering the same thing for the past three years.
73's Earl
#3     Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:23 pm
NJ3H
Stephens City, Virginia, USA

Subject:

CQ100 is a fantastic tool. I see many stations are listed daily as having just signed up, but I never see 90% (perception) of them on CQ100. Why in the world is that?

With sunspot numbers rising, I suspect the number of users might drop. For me, not having decent outside antennas like the old days, I will continue to use and enjoy CQ100.

There must be some way to encourage more hams to try it out and to increase participation. When I check all six bands after midnight (Eastern US), most of the time there is only one blip seen. So where are the people who are waking up in Europe, who are at midday in Indonesia and the Far East, still at mid-evening in the western US and Canada, and other various times in other parts of the world?

Doug has created and made available two excellent programs (CQ100 and QSO-TV). I do hear some say that the $32 fee a year is the reason they do not want to take part. However, this is just ten cents a day. Most hams spend more than that buying some piece of junk at a hamfest that they never use and that their widow will be stuck with to get rid of when they become a silent key. Bottom line, $32 is negligible.

The only think I can think of is to chat it up at ham club meetings (yes, you will hear the "it isn't ham radio mantra"), make mention on your local repeater, put info on your blog and website, put a QSOnet and CQ100 logo on your QSL card, and/or write an article for a ham magazine.

It is up to the users and the QSOnet owners to push this system and the great benefits that we are fortunate enough to experience every day while using CQ100/QSO-TV.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
#4     Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: Not "real" ham radio..........

Yes, it is true that QSO Net is not "real" ham radio..........

On QSO Net there is no thunder storm noise.
Propagation is always excellent.
You can exchange pictures.
You can operate from a motel room easily.
It is not possible to QRM without being identified.
No permits for antennas needed.
Homeowner covenants and anti-ham radio rules do not apply.
You don't need an antenna - no outdoor hardware.

I am sure there are more positives that I have missed, but you get the idea.

The $32 annual fee is the best money I have ever spent for ham radio. Although active on RF radio several hours daily, I also enjoy an hour or two of QSO Net daily.

I used to worry about loosing ham radio if I had to move to a location where I couldn't have a ham station. I no longer fear that, as I can remain active on QSO Net.

Many of those I talk with on a daily basis on QSO Net would not be on ham radio at all, if it wasn't for QSO Net. Apartments, condos, no antennas allowed, nursing homes, retirement communities, etc.

Get the word out - this is a really great thing. Don't let the "nay sayers" put it down.

Bill W2BLC www.w2blc.us and www.radiotelegraphy.net

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.