Archive

Topic: CW questions (2 replies)
#1     Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:08 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: CW questions

1. using the keyboard for CW is there a way to "squeeze" SK and AR together so those letters become ONE character? or do you just have to go with it the way it is and they come out S K and A R ??

2. Today I had several CW contacts. It wasn't until the last one that the other guy mentioned that the cw was broken up pretty bad. Is anybody else having a problem. No one mentioned this (if it was indeed) happening in my earlier cw contacts.

I did notice on other stations breaking up of the first couple of letters when they started sending and then all seemed ok after that.

But my last experience of the day was evidentilly not good sounding CW. Of course it sounds perfect as I am sending it but on the other end, something is causing it to break up.

Any solutions or suggestions for the above questions.

thanks... rich ae0v
#2     Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:13 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich. There is some discussion about CW scattered across this forum and in the Help File.

When using the keyboard, SK KN AS etc must be sent as two letters.

I recommend that your typing keep well ahead of the CW and use the spacebar for word spaces. Some operators try to use the QSK for word space and this can lead to breakup effect. If you type well ahead, there will not be a pause while you hunt for certain letters on the keyboard. *hi*
Its a matter of setting the keyer speed less than your typing speed.

Many serious operators are feeding their paddle keyer sidetone into the soundcard Line-In plug, then set the transceiver to VOX. I use this method and it works great, except my keyer has a raspy tone.

We are going to re-visit the idea of plugging the paddle into the serial port. We had this working pretty well, but their was a slight lag in the monitor sound which was annoying at high speed.

Someone reported that running Zone Alarm on the receiving side was causing random breakup and disconects, especially with CW.

There is advice in this forum under Technical Problems regarding breakup problems in general. Don't automatically assume the problem is on your side.
#3     Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:34 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

ok.... thanks for the info.... and that idea of plugging the paddles directly into the sound card sounds wonderful... I hope that can be a feature in the future.

As for typing faster than the CW is sent, that was what I was doing yesterday but on the final cw contact, the other station asked me to space more between words so I probably was not keeping ahead in that case... so most likely that may have caused a break up at the beginning of most words.

thanks rich ae0v

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.