Archive

Topic: keyer with serial or game port (1 replies)
#1     Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:39 pm
N5DWI
HOUSTON, TX

Subject: keyer with serial or game port

I wonder if there are any plans to use the serial or game port to connect a key rather than trying to do morse on a computer keyboard?

CWCOM, "The Mill," Les Kerr's KOB and others all do this. They use the following serial port pins:

DTR for manual key or common;
DSR for manual key or left paddle; and
CTS for right paddle.

For other old codgers like myself, the same port can also be used for driving sounders (RTS and SG).

I don't know if this is do-able or even desirable, but anything would be better than trying to send morse on a keyboard.

A keyer's sidetone is an improvement over using keyboards, I suppose, but only a little better.

You gotta watch out for us old purists !!!

tnx es vy 73 de john
#2     Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:33 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi John. We are working on it. We initially made CQ100 to use the paddle plugged into serial port, and it was great up to 12 wpm. At high speed 30 to 40 wpm I could not control S or H because there was a slight delay in the monitor tone. We might have a solution now. We are doing some more experiments. Thanks for the pin-out information.

I hate using the keyboard so I plugged my keyer tone into the sound card Line-In plug. It works great but the tone is very raspy. I should have used my Kenwood transceiver sidetone instead of that raspy keyer.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.