Archive

Topic: Microphones (3 replies)
#1     Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 pm
G0TUJ
HULL. UK

Subject: Microphones

Hi Guy's. Guess I am new on here. Haven't downloaded the software yet, but am fixing to do that soon. I have not been active on the bands for a lot of years and have no amateur gear left except for my straight key. For some reason I could never let go of it. Now at almost 77 years of age I have discovered QSO.Net and it seems to me to be the way to get back again.

If I have any worries then it is in connection with a suitable mike. I am working Windows XP Pro on one half of my PC and Debian Linux on the other. I need to know what mike would be best for plugging into my USB port? I have my key plugged into the serial port and use this on CWCom and Morsemail.

Can any members share with me what mikes they are using and give me some idea as to what performs best. I am thinking that something with a mute button or switch would be great, just in case someone comes barging into the room where I am working. I would like to come back again if I may in respect of using the straight key on QSONET. Thanks again for any help you can give me. Best 73 cypher (G0TUJ)
#2     Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 pm
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: mic

I use a headset...gigaware model 43-203 cq 100 likes it and I have 2 of them on 2 different pc's. The price is about average 25 dollars over here.

See you on cq100 on fone, cw, or rtty or psk<fldigi>.

POB/K8LEN :D
#3     Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 am
G0TUJ
HULL. UK

Subject: Microphones

K8LEN. Hi there. Nice to meet you on here. Thanks for the reply. I was just about to give it up and go for some other network. Okay on the headphones. I have tried them in the past, but being profoundly deaf because of cancer and stroke, I could not use the earphones. I have good speakers and with my digital hearing aid I can get by quite well. With there being no QRN or QRM on QSONET I should have few problems. I was thinking more on the lines of a separate desk type mike as this would suit me more. Wearing a headset becomes very painful after a few minutes. It is sad that there seems to be nothing in that line advertised and members are a bit shy at coming in. But we will get over it. Again. many thanks and nice to meet you. Hope to see you on the bands soon. 73. G0TUJ
#4     Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: USB Mic

You might want to try a USB mic. For example: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/microphones/devices/221&cl=us,en

or

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=39376814&source=EWBBASE&cm_mmc=CSE-_-google-_-ewbbase-_-Entertainment&CAWELAID=366874529

I use the second myself and am very pleased with it. I have had it for about a year.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.