Archive

Topic: Word spacing using keyboard (4 replies)
#1     Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:24 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Word spacing using keyboard

Doug

Is it possible to introduce a slight delay(in the buffer) when the space bar is hit when using the keyboard? Some of us are touch typists and we can get way ahead of the buffer. Thisresultsincwthatlooksandsoundslikethis.

Is it also possible to allow a few keyboard macros?
#2     Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:42 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Bob. The keyer is already programmed to provide the proper word space when the space bar is pressed. I use the space bar plenty when I send CW from the keyboard.

Sometimes I have to remind people to use the spacebar because all their letters are run together. It is perfect code if you use the space bar and keep your typing well ahead of the CW.

It is not recommended to use the QSK to achieve word spacing.
#3     Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:51 am
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject: Space Bar and CW Word Spacing

If you hit the "Space Bar" twice, will it give you double the time lag between words? It doesn't see to affect the outgoing CW from the keyboard, but I've had another Ham tell me he could tell if I doubled spaced. Just wondering?
#4     Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:21 pm
AC7YE
Salt Lake City, Utah

Subject: Spacing from the keyboard

Having "scoped" the output from the keyboard keyer, it looks like a space gives only about a 4 to 5 unit delay as opposed the the usual 7 units. It is detectable but just. Increasing the delay would vastly improve the readability for me at least. 8)

While I am making requests how about input to the keyboard keyer from a Winkeyer2 keyer. I know that this is really guilding the lilly a bit but would be a very cool feature. The Winkey2 keyer (by K1EL) provides input via the usb port (as a virtual comm port) and can be used as an ASCII source from a paddle and would also allow changing the keyer speed via it's speed knob. The Winkeyer2 would provide the side tone and eliminate any problems of delay in processing the ASCII data stream into a sin wave. Tracking the Winkeyer's speed knob and setting the keyboard keyer's speed to match would allow characters to flow out at about the same speed as they were entered. This would be the "perfect" paddle entry system without the need of a good keyed audio sin wave generator connected to the computer's line in port! K1EL provides a .dll file and information on writting interfaces to the Winkey2 on his web site: www.k1el.com. Something for you to do on a rainy day Doug. :roll:

73, Ken, AC7YE
#5     Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:45 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

ken... your suggestion sounds like a winner. I too hope that direct connection of the paddle or key will be available at some point.

rich ae0v grand island NE

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.