Archive

Topic: VOX Operation (3 replies)
#1     Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 pm
NJ3H
Stephens City, Virginia, USA

Subject: VOX Operation

I notice that when I am in VOX mode, and when back in receive mode, the S-meter stays between 7 and 8. The VOX level is at 9. With the level at 7, the XMTR keys, so I know that a level of 9 I am not transmitting (red light goes out and the screen says listening.

Is this a normal situation? If not, any suggestions?

HNY to all,

George, NJ3H
#2     Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:28 pm
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: VOX

YOU might be setting it to high , I keep mine at 8 on level and the dwell at 1., although I have never experienced what you have, also you might decrease your microphone readings just a bit.

73/HNY

POB/K8LEN RTTY 14.080/BOZO #865..BARF :shock:
#3     Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:50 pm
NJ3H
Stephens City, Virginia, USA

Subject:

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your answer. I did a little more investigation. It appears that the sound recording volume is the issue. I have Wave Mix Out as my selected sound recording device. When I lower the volume to 0, then the S-meter drops to 0. Of course, the digital modes will not function with a 0 volume setting. It appears to me that there must be some internal noise or something similar that is causing this situation. It must be that the CQ100 is "hearing" something, even though there is no audio being heard on a vacant frequency. With other modes selected, the S-meter is at 0.

Also, if I select Mono Out, Microphone, or Line In, the same situation persists.

This situation occurs with the squelch in both the on or off position

So what can be done to correct this situation?

FORGOT TO MENTION: If I raise the Wave Out Mix volume slide control, the CQ100 will eventually key while in VOX mode. Why would this happen?

George
#4     Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 am
K8LEN
indiana

Subject: VOX

I am not sure. The only thing I adjust for microphone and stereo mix...
stereo mix for rtty/psk I just check it, if I want to use voice, I just check the mic box. On the wave I set it at 1 notch above the bottom for rtty/psk and not any higher. The mic gain on the radio at 12 oclock, and the af gain <on the right>, about 2 clicks above the lowest setting counter clock wise. Of course when running voice I have the headset plugged in, and with rtty/psk I unplug it since it will not work with THE headset on my set up.

This probably might help or might not, but I am NO expert on computer settings<hi>. . I am surprised no one else doesn't chime in on this.

Off the subject, I have made a few rtty contacts already on 14.080 so keep plugging away.

PAT/POB/K8LEN :D

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.