Archive

Topic: audio problems (4 replies)
#1     Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:40 am
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: audio problems

Hello all. Nice to see the numbers gradually increasing. A question...On some people's audio,generally when they begin transmitting, it sounds really weird and sort of like a serious repetitive " echo " anyone know what causes this? Usually it dissappears after a few seconds. Is this my end or the other end? It' only happened a few times ,so isn't a big issue. See you all on the system..call me any time.Regards and 73's Des.
#2     Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:38 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Des. I have heard this effect a few times, always for the same few stations. There is a thumping echo for 2 or 3 seconds then it clear up. I suspect it is related to the sound card on the transmitting station. There is discussion about the audio Star-Wars effect under Technical Problems.
#3     Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:43 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Star Wars effect

Hi Doug and Des

Yes, this problem is related to the soundcard in the sending station.
Not sure what the problem is precisely, but switching to a different
soundcard will solve the problem.

It may be the driver, the firmware or the hardware itself, who knows.
The offending soundcard in my case was a soundblaster LIVE 5.1

Upgrading the driver did not help (in my case). I replaced it with a soundblaster Audigy 4 and the problem went away.
#4     Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:53 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Ok Bob. You did same fix as Jorge CE3GEI. My SoundBlaster Live cards are working fine here. Someone suggested if the driver upgrade does not help, try moving the PCI card to another slot. It seems strange but worth a try. The 2 second starting problem might be dfferent than the continual Star Wars problem. It seems the Star Wars is always SB Live.
#5     Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:54 pm
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: audio probs

Hi Doug and Bob. Thanks for your reply.Sure glad the problem wasn't my end. I'm highly pleased with this system...telling my friends about it. I gather an article has appeared in QST, so that should generate some extra warm bodies to talk to..hi hi...See you Des

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.