Archive

Topic: FCC Licence Privacy Issue (4 replies)
#1     Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:34 pm
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject: FCC Licence Privacy Issue

I am trying to get a Ham Radio friend of mine to register and get on QSONET. He tell me he is very interested but he doesn't see the need to send a picture of his Amateur Licence to register. He says EchoLink which has thousands of users only requires notification of your license to get on. I would think it would be easy to confirm a license ham via QRZ.

I didn't have a problem sending a picture of my license but maybe some others do. What any of you think of this? Do you think there is another way to authenticate your license?
#2     Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:14 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

There is a discussion of this issue on the FAQ section.

Your friend is absolutely wrong about Echolink http://www.echolink.org/faq_validation.htm

I think all the info on your license is also available on the FCC public database, so its not really a privacy issue.
#3     Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:48 pm
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject: I think you're right

I agree with you. And think he will finally change his mind. Tks for the response.
#4     Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:49 am
G3VFP
Chorley

Subject:

Hi

Your friend obviously isn't interested enough, or understands the need for such confirmation. ALL ham voip systems require licence authentification by the way.

Cheers Dave
#5     Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:29 am
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: validation.

It makes obvious sense to validate licences, otherwise it will slowly degenerate into a horrible free for all....ham radio is something to be cherished. There is already enough stuff in society being "downgraded" to suit people who are unwilling or unable to conform. Des.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.