Archive

Topic: CQ100 and Mobile Internet. (5 replies)
#1     Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 pm
G0MDI
Midlands,UK

Subject: CQ100 and Mobile Internet.

Hello, I have mobile internet with a 3 gigabyte monthly limit and I use this while at my holiday caravan. If I go over the allowed limits, the cost goes up astronomically! Can anyone advise me as to how quickly I would use up my 3g limit if I used CQ100? Just for an example, how many minutes/hours/whatever would I expect per gigabyte please and would this be all the time while connected to the server or only while in actual voice contact or listening to an ongoing conversation? Thank you.
#2     Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:37 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

This is a good question.

CQ100 uses about 7 Megabytes per hour of voice audio, whether transmitting or receiving. The traffic is near zero if you are listening to static.

Your 3 Gigabyte monthly limit amounts to approximately 400 hours of voice audio.

The QsoTV pictures average about 30 Kilobytes each, so your 3 Gigabyte monthly limit amounts to 100,000 pictures.
#3     Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:09 pm
G0MDI
Midlands,UK

Subject:

That is just what I wanted to hear, thank you so much for your detailed and very informative reply.
#4     Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:09 am
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: mobile

Interested in this...does your mobile internet card also work with echolink??? I have borrowed a friends " 3 " mobile card ,and it doesn't.What provider are you with ,and have you tried to use echolink? thanks for any advice.. 73 Des
#5     Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:26 am
G0MDI
Midlands,UK

Subject: Re Mobile Internet

Sorry for the delay, I was spending a few days in a location where there are no mobile networks available at all! I use 3 Mobile Internet thesame as your friend. Ithink its the best because its PAYG and I only pay for it in the summer months while at my caravan. Re 3 and Echolink, I am sorry I have no idea because I don't use Echolink at all. When I get the time I will install it just long enough to test to see if it works but I won't be within mobile network range for another fortnight after this short time taking a break from driving while on route.
#6     Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:43 am
G4OBB
Oxford UK

Subject: mobile

Thanks OM I don't think it will work on the 3 network...do try tho' and let me know!! I'd like to find someone with a vodafone ,orange or O2 aircard and see if they can work on echolink....I know people in the usa have these devices and work echolink fine...they generally use verizon ,but of course we do'nt have that here...

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.