Archive

Topic: QSO-TV problems (9 replies)
#1     Sun May 18, 2008 3:13 pm
WD9EON
Salem, Illinois, U.S.A.

Subject: QSO-TV problems

I'm running QSO-TV with an emachine running Windows Vista Home Edition. When I first start the program, it appears to work properly, but after receiving a picture, it will not receive another picture without restarting the program. Also after sitting idle for a while, it sounds like I am receiving a picture but it never shows anything but the prior picture and it never shows the progress like it does on the first picture. Is this normal? Any help will be appreciated.

Jerry WD9EON, Salem, Illinois
#2     Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I never heard of this problem before. I suspect it is related to a firewall, anitvirus or security program not being properly configured.
#3     Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:44 pm
WQ8A
Dowagiac, MI

Subject:

I am experiencing this exact problem. I am running Windows XP on a Dell computer, and I have been over all of the firewall/security settings in my Norton Internet Security progam without success. I am wondering if Jerry, WD9EON, resolved the problem. If so, how? QSO-TV loads and runs perfectly when receiving the first picture. That picture remains displayed, however, no other pictures are received. The sound of an incoming image continues without stopping/finishing. I have to close QSO-TV and restart it, where it again works perfecty for one image. Help!

Jim, WQ8A
#4     Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:50 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I wonder if Jerry is using Norton too.

CQ100 and QSOTV communicate with each other using UDP packets over address 127.0.0.1 This is not a problem for any "normal" Windows. However if Norton has modified your windows it might explain this problem.
Try to set your Norton so it will allow both CQ100 and QsoTV to use UDP over all ports at address 127.0.0.1 (local host). QsoTV must also be allowed to communicate with Qsonet.com over another port number and TCP, not UDP. I forget the port numbers. I will get them tomorrow. It may be possible to somehow enter all these ports and addresses into Norton. Perhaps, you can just try setting the Norton to "Less" security.

These 3rd part firewalls usually cause a lot more problems than they solve. They also burn up a lot of computer horsepower.

--- QsoTV port numbers ----

UDP 127.0.0.1:24990
UDP 127.0.0.1:24991
TCP qsonet.com:80

-----------------------

#5     Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:05 pm
WQ8A
Dowagiac, MI

Subject:

While examining various settings and performing tests along the way I found something interesting. When connected to the internet via dial up (NetZero) I found that QsoTV works perfectly. One picture after another is received and I am able to move forward and backward through them without a problem. So with that in mind, the glitch has to be with my wireless connection via satellite. I am using a Netgear Wireless-n PCI adapter, and the model number is WN311B. I find no settings within the Netgear software that can be changed to make a difference, and the same applies while allowing Windows XP to manage the wireless connection. I am sorry that I didn't mention that I use wireless/satellite the first time I asked for help, however, I still do need the help.

Thanks, WQ8A
#6     Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

We have discussed this puzzle over coffee this morning. We believe the UDP is working ok, and the problem must be with the connection to QsoNet.com:80

This connection works like any web browser to view images. Can you view the home page at Qsonet.com when this problem occurs?

You will have one configuration for the Norton using dialup and another for the satellite connection. Be sure these two Norton configurations are the same. If might be possible to turn off the Norton and just use the Windows firewall as a test. Can you set your Norton to make a log of problems detected?
#7     Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 pm
WQ8A
Dowagiac, MI

Subject:

I turned both the Norton firewall and the intrusion prevention featues completely off (no firewall at all) and the problem persists. I loaded up the QsoNet home page and watched for signs of difficulty while my problem is in play and noticed no disruption whatever to the QsoNet home page.

Jim, WQ8A
#8     Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:33 pm
N5LBZ
Gulfport, MS.

Subject: PROBLEMS WITH QSO TV ONLY RX/TX ONE PIX AT A TIME

I HAVE read several posts about this problem but no fixes. I have a home made computer running Win XP Pro w SP3 and I have been using CQ100 & QSO TV for a couple of years. When I started my internet was on cable then when we moved to the country I went to dial-up. Bothe CQ100 and QSO TV worked fine on both although I experienced a lot of dropped packets on dial-up. When I changed from dial-up to satellite [Hughes net] QSO-TV will
now only receive one picture or send one picture. I have to turn QSOTV off and restart then it is good for one more picture. Does anyone have an answer to this problem? I am using McAfee antivirus plus but I was using it
on dial-up and cable without any problems. It would appear the problem is with the satellite connection.

Stuart
N5LBZ
#9     Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:17 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Let me guess at the cause...

QsoTV is actually a home-made web browser that pulls down the picture from a simple web page at qsonet.com

I suspect Hughes does not like seeing an unknown browser downloading and uploading on their system. After your first successful use, they inspect the packet headers and they flag it an unauthorized web browser.

This is just a theory. You will have to ask Hughes if its true.

73, Doug
#10     Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:43 pm
N5COL
Dubberly, La

Subject:

I am having the same problem with QsoTV recieving 2 or 3 pictures but no more without reloading the program. I have been on QSO 100 since Nov 2009. I never had any trouble while using bellsouth & AGV. I was unable to download AVG the last time it expired so having changed to Netzero who offered Norton free. I started using it. After I got on netzero and Norton I resumed using QSO 100, which I had not been on for a while and found I had this problem. I do not know if it is Netzero or Norton or both that is causing the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.