Archive

Topic: DahDiDah LAP TOP OUT to LINE IN on DESKTOP (2 replies)
#1     Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:00 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: DahDiDah LAP TOP OUT to LINE IN on DESKTOP

Reports on my dahdidah have not been favorable.... clicky... one report was that "it sounds like a stick hitting a box" ... another report described it as having a heaving thumping sound.

So I decided to use my laptop and the dahdidah software as if I was bringing my keyer audio out of an HF rig and then running it to the "line in" on my desktop. So it takes both computers... but they are both sitting right together, so why not.

Laptop with dahdidah running >>> headphone out jack to line in >>> desk top.

Before I tried the line in, I mic'd a speaker from the laptop and dahdidah and ran the mic into the desktop. I tested it into the "test server" on EchoLink and it sounded ok.

I then decided to do the "line in" from the laptop to the desktop. Into the Echolink test server it again sounded good. I worked AF6AB and he described the sound as fine. I didn't ask him specifically if there was any thumping, etc. but he mentioned nothing of any strange sounds.... actually looking back at my notes, he said "it couldn't be better".

I'm not sure why I get the "not so good sounds" when running it internally within the one computer.... but I have heard some odd spikey type sounds on a couple other guys using the dahdidah.

I wonder if I could put a "Y" plug on the speaker of my laptop and run one side of it with the dahdidah signal back into the "line in" and do it all on one computer... hmmmmmmm.
#2     Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:28 am
WB0WLS

Subject: DAH DI DAH AUDIO OUT AND RIGHT BACK INTO THE "LINE IN&q

Sure enough it all works on just the laptop .... with the "Y" cable into the headphone out jack, I can still have my headphones in and a cable in the other side of the "Y" that comes right back into the "line in" input hole. Luckily this laptop has a "line in" in addition to headphone and mic holes.

It all seems to work.... now to get some reports to see if taking the audio from dahdidah out and bringing the audio back "into" the computer rather than running the program internally cleans up the tone.

If the reports are good, then this may be a way for others (that may be getting below par reports on your dahdidah audio) to fix and make the dahdidah program run with a nicer sound.

You must have a "line in" hole in addition to your headphone and mic "inputs".

If I get poor reports now on the laptop using this new idea yet good reports on the desktop, then maybe it is a problem with the laptop... but will wait and until after I have a few QSOs. I have my fingers crossed that the reports will be positive on the laptop as was with the desktop.
#3     Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

From reports.... the laptop sound is still thumping and popping and snaps, etc. ... although I think the copy is solid... no breakup, etc.... but doesn't appear to be very comfortable copy.

Running the sound from the laptop into the desktop by "line in" seemed to be somewhat better and maybe even A-okay.... so will see how it works out over time.

When all else fails, use the keyboard...... which is fine as I enjoying using the keys.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.