Archive

Topic: USB to Serial adapter with VISTA?? (4 replies)
#1     Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:42 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: USB to Serial adapter with VISTA??

My USB to Serial adapter software says for use with 98SE/ME/2000/XP. I wonder if the software (by some chance) might work on my new desktop with Vista???

Any thoughts? Or do I need to go buy a new adapter es software with Vista (if it is even available) listed on the box?

rich
#2     Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:06 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

It works on vista
#3     Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:02 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

With most hardware devices, you can get the latest driver software from the manufacturer's web site.
#4     Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:35 pm
WB0WLS

Subject: ASIO4ALL ????

Doug... I have ASIO downloaded. I had it at one time on my laptop also but didn't need it.

On my laptop when I brought up the dahdidah program, in the HARDWARE window, i would choose the sound card (either Realtek or the USB Amigo card) and in the DRIVE window, the ASIO would show up.

on this Vista OS on my new desktop, ASIO not only shows up in the DRIVER window but also shows up in the HARDWARE window. It never was in the HARDWARE window on the laptop.

The only way of selecting the ASIO for the DRIVER is if ASIO is also selected (rather than all the other choices) for the HARDWARE.

When I do that, I then get NO SOUND from CQ100... the dahdidah works great, but no audio coming from the rig. hmmmmmmm

If I select one of the other choices in the HARDWARE window (realtek or amigo card) then I get audio but my only choice in the DRIVER window is the WindowsDirect Sound and then all works BUT, there is a delay which makes it impossible to comfortably work CW.

I dont recall when using ASIO with my laptop that it even showed up in the HARDWARE selection.... only in the DRIVER.... but with the vista pc, it shows up both places.... which way should it be??

And if it should be selected in both HARDWARE and DRIVER window, what do you suppose I can do to bring back the audio from the CQ100.

rich
#5     Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:56 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

If your new computer has ASIO built into the system, I would avoid installing the downloaded version. The downloaded ASIO may not be Vista compatible.

I find KS works as well as ASIO but on some computers with some sound cards, it refuses to share the sound card with CQ100.

Once you get Dahdidah working with one sound card, try setting CQ100 to use the other sound card for output, but the first sound card for input.

I have used an arrangement where the output of one sound card is fed to the input of 2 other sound cards using a stereo Y splitter wire. The output from one of these 2 sound cards is fed to the input of a 4th sound card.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.