Archive

Topic: Serial port cable for dahdidah (10 replies)
#1     Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:36 pm
W7MDM
Phoenix, AZ

Subject: Serial port cable for dahdidah

I bought a serial port cable from Bulldog Keys (WWW.amateurradioproducts.com) that works great with dahdidah, using staight key, bug and paddles. If you want a quick easy connection, this is the way to go.

W7MDM - Marc :D
#2     Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:24 pm
KB9BVN
Indiana

Subject:

I ordered one yesterday, will try it out next week. I really want to be able to use my paddles and straight key with this software.

Could make for some great practice sessions.
#3     Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:32 pm
KB4T
Holly Hill, FL

Subject: Rolling your own....

When I decided to give myself complete flexibility to use a keyer paddle, bug or straight key with Dahdidah, I took an (elderly) serial cable and cut it about 3 feet from the end with a nice FEMALE 9 Pin D connector.

Then I used a multimeter to figure out which wires were connected to pins 4, 6 and 8. The unneeded leads were cut.

To the leads going to Pins 4, 6 and 8 I soldered slightly heavier wires (#18 silicone rubber insulation test lead but anything will do) with gator clips on the far end.

I used nice electrical tape and cable ties to secure the added wires so the soldered connections would not experience any stress.

The gator clips allow me to connect the cable to a bug or straight key's binding posts. The keyer paddle has a short cable on it with a stereo miniplug. I took a stereo inline jack and added some thinnish wires to it so the gator clips could easily attach.

The 9 pin female connector mates to the back of the desktop PC nicely and to a USB to Serial adapter for notebook PC use. I carry the bug, straight key and paddle in a nice padded case and use whatever I'm in the mood for.

The elderly serial cable may have cost me $5.00 and the gator clips, wires and stereo inline jack probably all come to another $5.00. I think my time cost most than all this!

Now I can use any key I want with Dahdidah. I met my goal of being able to enjoy complete flexibility.

Frank KB4T
#4     Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:50 am
KB4T
Holly Hill, FL

Subject: Using a Notebook PC??? Plug everything in before booting.

Reminder to anyone using a USB to SERIAL adapter to connect their keyer paddle to their notebook PC:

Be sure the USB to SERIAL adapter is plugged into the notebook's USB port BEFORE booting the notebook to insure that the keyer paddle will work properly.

I learned this from experience with my own notebook and by helping others get their notebooks working with a paddle. This seems to be applicable with Dahdidah and CWCOM at the very least.

If you are having trouble getting your keyer paddle working with whatever program you are using to send code on QSONET AND you are using a USB to Serial adapter to connect the paddle, make sure the adapter is connected prior to boot up.

Frank KB4T
Florida
#5     Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:33 am
G4ZPU
Poole

Subject: Re: Serial port cable for dahdidah

[quote="W7MDM"]I bought a serial port cable from Bulldog Keys (WWW.amateurradioproducts.com) that works great with dahdidah, using staight key, bug and paddles. If you want a quick easy connection, this is the way to go.

W7MDM - Marc :D[/quote]

Being the very first time I use this Discussion Forum, I am not sure I came to the right place!
However had this morning delivery of a similar cable from Bulldog Keys and I am afraid I can't get it to work with my paddle! I get a sidetone on the DAH side. That's all!!!!
Greatful if anyone could put me on the "right track"!

73 de Sten G4ZPU
#6     Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:07 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Sten ... If you are getting a side tone then the connection must be working .... the fist thing that comes to my mind is that maybe you have not swithed the input (recording) side of your sound card to "stereo mix".

If you look at the input side of the sound card you will probably see that there is a check in the microphone box so you need to chick the stereo mix box ... on some computers it's called "wave"

Maybe you have already done this and there is another problem..... but if you are indeed getting the side tone you all the proper steps have been taken on the dah di dah screen.

Hope it will work for you.

rich wb0wls (ex. ae0v)
#7     Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:41 am
G4ZPU
Poole

Subject:

Hi Rich,

The paddle key and dahdidah working nicely together now thanks to your help and patience!

73 de Sten
G4ZPU
#8     Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:51 pm
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

I am still wondering where you can download dadidah I have not found it yet.
Larry Roop N8RGO
#9     Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:34 pm
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

To my above statement, never mind I found it, thanks.

Was wondering though, various people was talking about wiring the end of the serial cable with things like the clips and others to connect to the quarter inch phono plug on the end of their paddle key. Is it not possible to just wire a quarter inch female jack on the end and plug the phono plug directly in to it?? that would seem to be the best route, maybe I am missing something though.

Larry Roop
#10     Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:31 pm
N9SJA
Lafayette, IN USA

Subject: so where did you end up finding the dahdidah software at?

So where did you end up finding the dahdidah software at N8RGO?

I would certainly like to know as well. Perhaps posting a link here will make it easier for folks to find.

73! de N9SJA Nick

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.