Archive

Topic: What am I missing...??? (4 replies)
#1     Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:08 am
AB6TY
Paso Robles, CA

Subject: What am I missing...???

Hi There,
Well, I downloaded the dah dit dah software and installed it on my computer.

Cut an end off of a DB9 Serial cable and using an dvom I found that mine was wired with green to pin 6, yellow to pin 8, brown to pin 4. I cut the other wires back out of the way.

I then hooked the 3 wires up to my vibroplex bug, and plugged the cable into the serial port of the computer. Opened CQ100, opened dah dit dah set it for com 1, picked my soundcard (Creative SB Live) driver set to Windows WDM-KS, Clicked Bug, set the A & B pins 6 & 8, latency set to auto, pressed Play and tried the bug... nothing happens. I tried several different settings and combinations to no avail. So I guess I am missing something? I am not very well versed in electronics but I do have a minimal bit of experience.

Any idea what I am missing or not doing correctly?

Using a 700MH Gateway Desktop running Windows XP

Thanks

Richard Smith, AB6TY
#2     Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:18 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Hey Richard... we talked the other night. Are you using a vibroplex bug or a vibroplex keyer paddle?? If it is the actual bug, I don't think you need 3 wires do you, as you would on a paddle. On the wiring diagram it reads ... If you are using a hand key or bug, connect to Common and EITHER dah or dit side. So that indicates only two wires. But maybe you are actually using a vibroplex paddle and just refered to it as a bug.

I just thought possibly you had 3 wires hooked up and you maybe only needed two for the bug as per the directions.

rich

PS.... I am NO expert.... so don't go by me :D
#3     Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:57 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Richard,

Do you see any red messages at the bottom of Dahdidah window?
Do you see any blinking red dots while you are keying.

If you see the blinking dots, the serial wiring is working and the computer is detecting your paddling. Now you can look into sound card and audio output problems.

If you do not see the blinking dots the problem is with the serial port to paddle communication. Check your wiring and be sure the serial port is activated in your windows control panel.

A few times I made a mistake where I forgot to click the PLAY button before I paddle. Nothing happens! The red message at the bottom reminds me to click PLAY.

73, Doug
#4     Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:08 pm
AB6TY
Paso Robles, CA

Subject:

Ok...I figured out what I was missing... a brain! When I was determining which wire was which pin I was doing it from the Male side so I was basically 180 off on the pin numbers :roll:

So I have it showing red dots for pins 6 & 8 when keying. I found that I have to click on straight key for my vibroplex bug to work properly which is not a problem. I downloaded and installed the AISO4ALL which does sound good up to about a 76% level on the slider after that is gets a buzzing sound to the tone.

Now, what do I need to set on the CQ100 rig to get on the air? I tries pressing play, then press to talk. I tried setting to keyer and pressing play, etc but I do not see any needle movement on the power meter, again I assume I am missing something. What would be the recommended property settings on the Com 1 port? any ideas?

Thanks again

Richard, AB6TY
#5     Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:08 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Richard. Glad you got it working.

You are correct a real bug will appear as a straight key to the program. The bug mode on the program allows a paddle to simulate a bug.

With a bug or straight key, you should be using only 2 of the 3 wires.

Here is advise about getting the CQ100 to transmit the keying sound...
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=800

73, Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.