Archive

Topic: Keyer trial (20 replies)
#11     Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:03 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich,

Your computer has plenty of horsepower :)

I just heard from VE7KEY who says its working fine with his Bencher paddle. You do not have the AMD problem, because your processor is Intel. If you don't have the AMD problem, I am running out of ideas...

Did you try A,B Ultimatic and bug mode?

Maybe try opening up your paddle gaps to see if there is some kind of a accidental bounce happening.

Try touching various parts of the paddle to see if its picking up static or hum from your body into the serial port.

Can you try a different USB port on the computer?

If you have a USB headset, it will act as a total different sound card.

Try closing all other programs that may be connected to your sound card, the ASIO and KS drivers may not want to share the sound card with other programs.

Do you think that leading dit is an audio breakup of the dah, or does it sound like it really is an extra dit being generated?
#12     Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:03 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Doug... I just discovered the STRANGEST thing. As I stated before... sometimes (often) the dahs will start with a dit ... and the dits will start with a dah......

OK.... why I did this I don't know... but, I turned my bencher on it's side so I am looking at the underneath part of the paddle where the 3 wires are attached. Dah, Dit and I guess the other is the "common" up by the front rubber foot.

Here is what happens....

If I TOUCH the connection on the bottom or actually even on the top on the DIT side.... then the Dahs all send normally. And visa versa ... touch underneath on the dah connection or touch anywhwere on the dah side and then send some dits and they come out perfect.

So it seems like some type of a grounding issue or something. Should I not have that third wire connected???

If I touch both sides at the same time, then we are back to the original problem.

What do you think????
This is an edit to the above.... it seems that I have to press hard against the screw on the bottom that holds the connection OR press down hard on the post (dit or dah) and that pressure seems to cause the problem to go away.... but again, pressing down on BOTH posts... then the problem continues as usual. This is so weird... I suppose there could be a simple explanation, but it is beyound my ability to figure out.

Maybe I just need a different paddle :?
#13     Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:22 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

Rich

Certainly the third or common wire must be connected. I would get your multimeter out and check the continuity on all the connections. Could be corrosion or loose connections.

No problems here using Bencher paddle although I must use ASIO for my laptop computer.
#14     Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:32 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

It must have something to do with what my body adds when I touch it.... maybe some capacitance. Of course if I touch both then it cancels out the benefit of touching one :) But I have a solution... every time I want to work CW, I'll have my wife (she has absolutely no interest in this stuff) put her finger on one post while I put mine on the other post and it should work fine :lol:

You know what they say.... "it takes two to tango". Guess it will take two to work CW. :D
#15     Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich. Great detective work :)

I suspect the problem is related to the USB to serial converter. I will do some hardware experiments here later today.

Here is my initial suggestion...

First, be sure the DB9 plug outer case is connected to the computer case. It should show zero ohms when all the power is turned off.

One of the spare wires (or shield) will be connected to the computer ground. I would try three capacitors .001 mfd or less from all three posts to ground. It should be equivalent to you two people touching the posts. If that does not help, try a 1 meg ohm resistor instead (maybe .5 meg or .1 meg) to bleed off any +DC voltage hanging on the posts. The resistor is not necessary for the common post, as this is the +voltage supply.

73, Doug
#16     Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:49 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I did some experimenting here with my 5 year old Dell 4400 and the NexxTech model 2608042 USB to serial adapter I got at Redio Shack.

I cannot duplicate Rich's problem with occasional extra leading dits or dahs no matter what parts of the paddle I am touching or not touching. I have seen a few people mention this problem on the Flex Radio discussion forum. They were trying to find a bug in the software.

If you wish to try capacitors or resistors to ground, I did some tracing of the grounding on my setup. The DB9 pin 5 at the top left corner is officially the "Signal Ground" and it connects straight through the USB adapter all the way to the computer chassis. This will be the best place to experiment.

The shielding on the DB9 cable is connected to the DB9 shell but not to pin 5. It appears to be floating (goes nowhere) beyond the USB adapter. It would have connected to the computer chassis if it were not for the USB adapter in the middle. This shielding is not connected to the pin 5 signal ground.

I would try connecting a 1 megohm resistor between pins 5 and 6, and another 1 megohm resistor between pins 5 and 8. These resistors should bleed off any + voltage left hanging on the wires after the paddle has let go. Perhaps (.1 meg or .5 meg will work better).

The paddle common feeds +5 volts to pins 6 or 8 as you move the paddle. These pins must remain below 3 volts when the paddle lets go, or you will get unwanted dits or dahs.

73, Doug
#17     Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:57 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

Doug... thanks for the info.... I'll pass this along to my local computer and electronic expert... I'm sure he will figure it out. Probably wont get to it until next week but I'll let you know of any results.

thanks...

rich ae0v
#18     Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:15 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

OK Rich. If my resistor idea solves the problem for you, I will post it on the Flex Radio reflector.

73, Doug
#19     Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:34 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

Doug... here's what was done to make the correction.

One .001 microfarad capacitor (total of 3) from each lead to pin #5.

#272-126 in the Radio Shack store/catalog.

All seems to work fine now on my end... now if I could just get someone to answer my CQ :o

You never know how it will sound on the other end after it has passed through the internet.

rich ae0v
#20     Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:54 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Thanks for solving this Rich. I will mention it on the Flex reflector because a few people have reported this same problem over there. I will add this to my manual.

The use of capacitors to ground means one of two things...
1) Capacitors would decrease the amount of hum / rf on the wires.
2) Capacitors would reduce a click on one wire being induced onto another wire.

1) would get worse by touching the contacts but 2) would get better. So I will vote in favor or 2) being the cause.

73, Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.