Archive

Topic: getting a bug to work (3 replies)
#1     Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:08 pm
KB3HQH
Kulpmont, Pa.

Subject: getting a bug to work

I have a bug hooked up to the serial port. 6 and 8 or 6 and 4. I can not get it to act as a bug, even when i select bug. I just get a string of dits. Anybody have similar situation? When I select straight key I just get a single tone . Iambic gives me string of dits also. I am on vista, have the Dahdidah program installed. any help would be appreciated. John
#2     Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

This sounds like a problem with the wiring to your bug. Its acting like the contacts are always closed. Unplug the bug from the computer and check the bug contacts are OPEN using an ohm meter or continuity checker. The two wires are touching each other at some point. One of these wires should go to the bug body. The other wire should go to BOTH of the bug contacts.
#3     Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:10 am
KB3HQH
Kulpmont, Pa.

Subject: Yo Doug

Hi Doug, I shud have explained myself better. My bug is open when not energized by pressing the paddles. And I have it connected right. One wire to both sets of contacts and the other to ground. I pressed the paddles and when i have bug connected, I can get the closed connection when i press the dah, but can not get the quick sound of the dits. It is only when the vibrating arm stops and closes completely is when i get the closed connection. I am experimenting with the input connections on the serial port and the chosen pin selection on the program screen. But to no avail yet.
thanks for writing back Doug. I guess i will keep trying. John
#4     Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:55 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Set Key Mode to straight Key.
Set both A & B dots to your pin.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.