Archive

Topic: CW help please?. (2 replies)
#1     Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 pm
G4AVN
Ashington

Subject: CW help please?.

Please would some one put me on the right track. CQ100 has a built in keyer to send CW via the keyboard. If you wish to use your morse keys be it up/down, bug or paddle, then you need "Dahdidah" or an outboard program to use your keys. To connect the keys, this must be done through COM ports, game ports or USB to COM port adaptor cables, or the stereo input connector of your sound card. The USB to COM port adaptor cables, I am aware that there are voltage differences between RS232(COM ports) and USB ports. Does the cables mentioned in the support forums simply change COM port, 9pinD, to USB connecters or do they require electronic circuitry to change the differing voltage requirements of the two different port parameters?. As a morse key is simply a switch, I cannot see that one would require electronic assistance. My computer has an on board sound card with a "line in" port, if I connect my key to this port and it works then all ok. If it does not, then is it simply that I try the drivers that are available on the Dahdidah driver box. If that does not work then do I need a modern sound card "daughter board" and the correct drivers?.
I would be gratefull of any response.
Regards,
Noel, G4AVN.
#2     Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:26 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

USB has nothing that can be keyed directly. The USB to DB9 adapter has a chip to do the electronic conversion. The DB9 has certain pins that can be switched on/off as shown in the Dahdidah manual. They are not switched to ground, but to high.

The sounds from Dahdidah will come out your computer speakers.

The sound card line-in plug is for audio signals, not for on/off. You can plug the AUDIO from your CPO into the sound card this way, but most CPO's have a very raspy sound. If you chose this method, you will hear the sounds coming from you computer speakers. Beware. the jack labled "OUT" on the CPO is usually on/off out not audio out. If you CPO has a headphone jack, that will be audio out. I was able to get nice CW by using my old Kenwood as expensive CPO. The Kenwood headphone jack was connected to computer Line-In.

Once you have Morse sounds coming from your computer speakers (by either of the above 2 methods, or by some other software), you must set your sound card "Record" to use "What you Hear" (Stereo Mix) instead of Mic.

At this point, you mic is dead, so it is safe to use CQ100 VOX as your TR switch. Please don't leave the CQ100 in VOX though, because any beeps or music on your computer will key up the rig.

I hope this helps.
#3     Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:19 am
G4AVN
Ashington

Subject:

Hello Doug,
Many thank for your informative reply, I will digest this and try to connect the key again.
Best regards,
Noel, G4AVN.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.