Archive

Topic: How I learned to love DDD...and make it work (3 replies)
#1     Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:06 pm
AD7FQ
south of Tucson, AZ.

Subject: How I learned to love DDD...and make it work

It's been a long week. Lots of frustration and failure, but we finally have DDD working well. I have to give Doug lots of credit for his patience. He answered every e-mail, and kept me trying.

First, we had a really annoying problem, in that the female end of the
MRX cable, was shorting out. This caused the sound to be intermittent.

Eventually, we took the cable, cut off the feamale end, and soldered the red wire from the cable, to the red wire coming from the straight key (it was the only wire) and grounded the other wire. This made the key, part of the computer, in that we couldn't remove the key for use elsewhere.

After making sure that the key worked properly, we cut the cable,
about 6 inches from the base of the key, and installed a male 1/8"
stereo fitting. To do this, the white wire went to the tip, the red to
the middle, and the ground went to the case, or base, or whatever you want to call it. ...so...now we have a 6"cable coming out of the key, with a male fitting at the end.

Next, we took the serial end of the cable, (the rest of the cable..that
we cut off the aforementioned part of the cable), and installed a
female fitting, using the same color co-ordinates. Now we have a
serial cable coming from the computer, with a female fitting on the
end. In this manner, we can disconnect the key for use elsewhere.

Can you use your paddle with this set up? Yes you can..you're going to have to change the settings within the program somewhat. You have to use the iambic B setting. For the serial port setting, either DSR.(pin 6) or CTS (pin 8) will work. You're going to have to fool around with the key speed setting, till you're comfortable with it, but rest assured, it works well.

Thanks again to Doug for his patience, and to Jack McGowan, AD7NK, for his help
Bob
AD7FQ
#2     Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:11 pm
W0DH
Albert Lea, MN

Subject:

I'm having trouble with the dahdidah program, can't get it work work at all. Wired up the whole thing per instructions. Running XP Pro on my Dell 2400 that has a Soundmax card. Using the Windows WDM-KS driver and auto latency. Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks
#3     Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Don't fprget to press the PLAY button.
#4     Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 am
W0DH
Albert Lea, MN

Subject:

I got it working! I had been trying to use some old cables and connectors, but every time I tried to check the pin connections, they seemed to come up wrong. Don't trust your own thinking about pin connections. Start right at the key, making sure they are right, then check with an ohmmeter at the PC end of the cable. I had an old cable that was used for a Pansat receiver, and checking closer, it didn't have all the wires in it. I tried using a female to female serial connector, that was wrong too. Finally got it working and now I can use my old Brown Bros keyer paddle again. Look for me on 20 CW.
Dex - W0DH

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.